Mustafar And Afterward: Maul Saves A Lot Of People And Goes Into Exile

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, well. Who'd they take from you?"

Maul hesitated before replying, "My girlfriend. A Senator. Padme Amidala."

The driver nodded. "Holding her hostage, eh?"

"I guess so. I have to rescue her."

The driver sped through the city, finally stopping outside Padme's window.

"Wait for me," Maul said briefly, standing on the side of the car and activating one end of his blue lightsaber to break the glass. Padme, sitting morosely on the couch in her quarters, looked up at the sound of shattering glass.

"Maul!" she gasped when she saw him. "Maul, you shouldn't've come, they'll kill you --"

"I couldn't leave you with them," Maul said, deactivating his lightsaber and running to embrace her. "I had to save you."

"I'm glad you came," Padme breathed. "I thought...Order 66..."

"Never," Maul breathed. "They will never kill me, not when I've still got a future with you."

Padme's lips found his, and Maul returned the kiss eagerly. 

"Come on, let's get out of here before --"

Maul cut off abruptly as he sensed the presence of the two Sith drawing nearer.

"Karabast!" Maul muttered. 

"What --?"

"Go! You have to get out of here! There's a cab waiting, get in! I'll hold them off!" Maul insisted.

"I'm not letting you sacrifice yourself for me!" Padme exclaimed.

"I'm not," Maul said, pushing her towards the broken window. "Go! I'll be right behind you!"

Padme ran to the window as Maul activated his lightsaber. The pair of Sith entered the room, both sneering.

"Maul," growled Kenobi. "I should have known you'd come running to save your precious Senator."

"It wasn't hard," Maul taunted. "For all that you're the two most powerful beings in the galaxy, you really don't have much regard for security. It was easy to get in here and save her."

"Really?" Skywalker sneered. "Looks to me like you're cornered."

"Then you are blind," Maul hissed. 

Kenobi and Skywalker both activated their red blades. "You think you can stop us? We beat you before."

"Yes, which is how I met Padme," Maul said. "Thanks for that, by the way. But I have no intention of fighting you."

"Oh? And what is your intention?" Kenobi scoffed.

"Run!" Maul shouted behind him to Padme, who'd hesitated on the windowsill. She jumped out, landing on the cab, and Maul followed as the Sith called in a few clone guards. The clones started firing, but it was useless: Maul's lightsaber moved so fast it was barely a blue blur, and then the clones were dead, their blaster fire directed right back at them. 

"Get us the hell out of here," Maul said to the driver, who obeyed gladly.

Maul remained standing on the back of the car, lightsaber out, not caring if he was seen anymore. The Sith pursued him almost immediately, accompanied by another group of clones and a few Dark Jedi. Maul wielded his lightsaber expertly, deflecting every blaster shot aimed at either him or the cab's engines.

"Maul! Remember the first time we kissed, when I said I hadn't figured out what to say?" Padme said as Maul deflected yet another blaster shot.

"Yeah! What about it?" Maul called back, a little preoccupied.