If Grayson hadn't brought it back to me before I remembered, I never would've bothered asking. It would've been considered lost since I definitely wouldn't have wanted to go back over for it.

"Now that I'm here—wanna do our english work together? I was busy during study hall."

I pick at my nails with a small sigh. I guess I kind of owe him after he let me sleep in his bed, so I nod.

Sorry, Celia. I'll surprise her soon, right now I've gotta help Grayson with english.

Plus... he was tolerable alone. Grayson wasn't that bad when he was like this, though I was still nervous around him since we weren't close, it was just some reading and questions.

"Cool. By the way, I'm a few chapters behind," he grins.

"Oh good, me too."

"Wait, really? But you're like, the smart kid. You always seem like you know what's going on," Grayson furrows his eyebrows. I just shrug, walking toward my room to grab my school stuff. "Are you telling me it's an act?"

My grades were good, but I wasn't actually the best student. My attendance for the last four years was subpar, my homework was almost never turned in on time... but I kept my grades up, especially with test scores.

"If they don't notice me sitting quietly in class, they don't really notice much if I'm a little late with stuff. As long as most of it gets done eventually, they don't care," Grayson stands in my bedroom doorway as I flip through some books, looking for the right one. "Just because I'm not loud and I don't usually ditch doesn't mean I'm great at school."

He nods, a small smirk on his face. "So you're not a good girl?"

I shrug again, "guess you'll never know."

"Wait, Opal you can't just—" I cut him off as I walk out of the room, toward my couches. "Fine, fine. We study first... if I pay attention can I ask you some questions?"

"We'll see," that was my polite way of saying no. Grayson poking into my life made me very uncomfortable.

Lately, he didn't make me completely anxious to be around. Well, not when he was friendly like this. But that didn't mean I felt okay with giving him a bunch of details about me.

So the two of us read, and it's mostly me reading to him again, but it's calm. And we answer a few chapters worth of questions after, both feeling good to actually have our homework done.

"How are you at astronomy?" Grayson asks, looking at some of his other papers. "I know we have that class together."

"Bad. But you can copy the answers I got from Celia, who is really good at it," I hum, pulling out the homework from that class. We got it just yesterday. I wouldn't have done it yet had Celia not offered to do it with me. And if I could get rid of Grayson sooner, I'd give him the answers too.

I'd already realized I wouldn't make it to Celia's tonight, but I was tired and wanted to go lie under my covers alone for a while.

He mumbles a quiet thanks as he copies down the answers, and I scroll through my phone while he does. I felt awkward just staring at him.

"So, now that that's done..." Grayson grins. I'd hoped he forgot. "Wanna play 21 questions?"

I know where this goes.

"I've actually got some stuff to do, so—"

"C'mon, Opal. Just a few questions, then?" He bargains. He really doesn't take no for an answer, does he?

"Two questions. My dads gonna be home soon and I have some stuff I need to get done before he is," I sigh. A couple questions couldn't really hurt, right? Plus, he seemed harmless right now.

Grayson nods slowly, pausing to think about his first question. "Alright, what's the stupidest thing you've ever done?"

"Hmm... probably when Celia and I broke into the abandoned house by the school. One of the neighbors called the cops and they didn't actually arrest us, but they made our parents come pick us up at the police station."

He laughs at the thought, probably trying to picture me panicked in the back of a cop car. It wasn't a pretty sight.

"They did, however, handcuff me for a little bit. I think they wanted to scare us so we wouldn't do it again."

"You? In cuffs?" Grayson smirks. "Doesn't seem like your style, Opal."

My cheeks feel hot, eyes darting toward the floor as I try to ignore his comment. He was already making me regret this.

"You have one more question," I cough, switching the topic. He chuckles and rolls his eyes at me, scratching his neck while he thinks again.

"So, that guy you dated freshman year," he starts. I already know exactly where this is going. "Joey, or whatever his name is? From the hockey team? He told all the guys he took your virginity. Is it true?"

Even with two questions, he still manages to ask one about my virginity. God, I hate boys.

"No."

That's the only answer I give him, despite the eyebrow he raises waiting for me to elaborate. He asked if it was true, and it wasn't, so I answered. He didn't ask for details.

Grayson's eyes trail me up and down for a second as we sit in silence, and all I really want is for him to leave now. It's only four, but it's been a really long day, and I'm feeling tired and exposed. He had used his two questions.

"Wait, if you're still a virgin, why let him lie about it?" Grayson asks.

I huff slightly. This wasn't part of our deal. "I mentioned it to Celia and whoever asked. I wasn't gonna go around telling the whole school it didn't happen, Grayson. It seemed easier to just let it blow over, I don't care if people think I'm not a virgin." In fact it's probably better, because now that he knows he has a different look in his eye.

The other day him and Ethan joked about it, but it was just that—a joke.

"I always thought something was off about him," his nose scrunches up. "Opal, why're you so quiet at school?"

"Nope," I shake my head. "You've already used your two questions. I really have to get started on—"

"I'll help, if you answer," Grayson bites his lip. "C'mon, you're like a completely different person than you are at school. Why?" He asks, leaning his head against his hand.

"I could ask you the same question," he furrows his brows at me. "It's not that I'm a different person, Grayson, it's that you don't really know me. Now please, my dad will be home in like twenty minutes, and I have some stuff to do."

I shouldn't have said that. Immediately afterward I feel bad about the way I phrased it.

But he nods slowly, thanks me for the help, and then leaves.

Letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding in, I walk toward the kitchen to start the dishes. Every interaction with Grayson leaves me feeling exhausted these days.

A/N

was gonna wait to post this butttttt euphoricaldolan told me I wouldn't do it rn so here it is