Chapter 6

You were playing chess in the lounge, the only room without a glass roof, when Hartley attacked you. The sound of splattering glass coming from all sides, combined with the weird call Harrison had just got a few seconds before, made you panic. You were about to freak out, when the doctor took your hand and told you to stay calm. "Be quiet and stay behind me." Wells opened his safe and took a gun out. "I don't think he's still here, but we won't take unnecessary risks.", he added. "You know who did this? And why are you so calm, Harrison, someone just smashed all the windows in your house!" You asked, highly confused. Without giving you any answer, he checked the whole house before stopping in the lounge again. "I'll tell you about him tomorrow, together with the rest of the team. Go home now, I'll call the police in the morning." You were outraged. "What, you want to leave it for the night? And sleep here? Harrison, it is winter. You are going to catch the most terrible cold of your life. And I won't leave you alone as long as that psycho is running around." He sighed. "Calling the police now doesn't make any sense, all the light bulbs are gone as well, just in case you haven't noticed. They won't see a thing." "No, but you are not going to sleep here. I have a flat on this side of the city. I never use it, because its too far away from S.T.A.R. Labs and I fucking hate it, but it has a heating system, a bed and a couch and will do for the night. Do you think your car is still alright?" "I hope so. Lets go see."

His car was alright. You slept in your flat and called the police as soon as the sun rose. Then Barry, Cisco and Caitlin arrived and asked you if we were okay. Wells answered for the both of you. "We're fine, luckily we were in the lounge when it all happened, the only room without a glass roof. Come in, make yourself a home." You all sat together at his dining table and listened to him telling you about the guy who attacked him last night, Hartley Rathaway. He also told you something else. Something that upset most of the team a lot, most of it, but not you. You already knew. It was the day Harrison Wells told you that he had been aware of the true risk he had been taking the night he turned the particle accelerator on. He had known how big this risk was, and what was going to happen if his plan failed.

After that, everyone left, disappointment written on their faces. Harrison looked at you. "You are not going?" You stared at him for a long time, before you answered. "Harrison, do you remember what I told you that day next to Barrys bed, where we first met?" Wells closed his eyes. "That you would have turned the accelerator on too, ignoring every possible risk. You knew. You knew that someone warned me about the risks and that I ignored it, believing too much in a better future for stopping the experiment at that stage. You truly are brilliant, Y/N. Maybe even more brilliant than Hartley ever was." You crossed your arms, never taking your eyes off him. "I calculated all possibilities. It was quite obvious, you or someone of your team just had to get to the same point as I did. I saw it when I first looked into your eyes. That guilt. From that moment on I was sure that you had made a terribly wrong decision. And I would have done the same." He looked at you again. "So you are not mad at me?" You broke the eye contact, moving to the other side of the room. "Not for taking the risk. I am mad at you for not telling Cisco and Caitlin, who stayed at your side even after the explosion. And Barry, who was affected by it." His expression was full of guilt. "Is there any way to make it up to you?" "Make it up to them and you'll make it up to me.", you answered. Then you left.

He did make it up. Harrison gained the teams trust back by summoning a press conference, where he told the entire city about the risk he had taken that night when he turned on the particle accelerator, being aware of the damage it was eventually going to cause. He gained your trust back by saving Barry's life while he was fighting against Hartley. "Checkmate", he said triumphantly as you watched Barry putting the enemy in handcuffs. That earned Wells a kiss on the cheek from you. Before you could escape again, he sneaked his arms around your waist and pulled you into his lap. "Was that an "I forgive you?"", he asked, smiling at you. "That was a "you definitely are the best at chess". And yes, I forgive you." His smile grew even wider. "Well, then... dinner at eight? But well have to go to a restaurant, they haven't repaired the windows in my kitchen yet."