Chapter One: Lost...Then Found

EARTH: Willmington, N.C. 2024 AD

A'Nika awoke to a human soldier dragging her under a class 7 automated support tank as it walked its six legged spider-like body over them and stopped. It activated its shields and began firing its twin cannons on the nearest Basinite, decimating it as it struggled to get closer, then swiveled around to its next closest target. She slowly looked around, trying to remember what just happened. The last thing she could think of was that she was on her way to help the ground troops near the waterways. She had just spotted them when suddenly everything went dark.

"Are you ok?" A deep voice barely resonated through her sealed helmet.

Great, her com was out, she thought to herself. She shook her head yes, then regreted it, as she palmed the sides trying to stop the pounding. With the help of the soldier, she rolled on to her stomach as the headache stopped and she could focus once again. She looked out to where a small whole was created when she landed. It was then she remembered the Basinite that hit her from above. She killed it on the way down, but not in time to free her wings and stop her fall. The impact knocked her unconscious, but she was fine otherwise. The armored suit plus her own physiology saved her from any damage. Unfortunately, it also shorted out her com unit. She looked to her left and saw a Basinite slowly rolling it's way towards them.

Basinites were orb like lifeforms that looked like black basketballs with teeth and tentacles. They're highly aggressive and will stop at nothing to destroy its target. They're not intelligent individually, but possess skilled tactics when hunting in packs.

It began rolling faster as the whip like tentacles emerged, lifting it slightly off the ground and gaining speed. A'Nika reached her right arm out as her armored hand converted into a mini rail gun. She was just about to fire when it suddenly bounced off the tank's shielding. It reoriented itself then began attacking the shield.

"That's not gonna hold long." She barely heard the soldier say as he grabbed his weapon and aimed at the small crack that was beginning to form. The shield had just cracked open and disappeared at the same time the Basinite exploded in a gory black mess. The twin cannons on the tank above swiveled around to it's next target and began firing. It destroyed the last closest Basinite, then went into sentry mode as it scanned for more targets. Quickly making their way out from under the tank, the two made their way to the gathering soldiers. Three more support tanks walked in to join with the fourth and formed a sort of defense perimeter around the troops.

"This so called superman of yours better be worth it." Once again she barely heard the soldier say as they walked over to the others. Irritated, she removed her helmet, shaking her long red hair loose, and began working on her com unit.

"His name is Andro, and he's the reason you have a fighting chance now. So have some respect, and yes, he is worth it. If only we could find him...." she said, the last trailing off as she looked at the distant horizon past the canals and inlets.

"Sir, that signal you were looking for is just ahead. It's coming from just beyond the south watergate." One of the soldiers said as he walked up showing the captain the information on his tablet.

Studying the indicated route, the Captain had just ordered the troops to move out when suddenly the tanks stopped and turned around, all four twin cannons aimed at the darkness behind them. They could hear a low rumble that began to vibrate the ground under them. The tanks moved to form a shielded wall as the soldiers knelt down and took aim behind them. Looking between the tanks, they could see a few Basinites slowly rolling down the street towards them. They came to a stop as a very large dark mass started forming behind them.

Slipping her helmet back on, she scanned the swarm and saw that there were hundreds of Basinites gathering in front of them. Including herself, there were only twenty seven soldiers left out of the one hundred that was attacked by the first wave. Ten support tanks got reduced to four with one badly damaged but still operational.

"Fall back..." she heard the Captain softly order his troops thru her now working comlink. "...Fall back!" He repeated a little more urgently as the troops slowly started moving backwards, before turning and running toward the the watergates. The swarm quickly advanced on the troops but the tanks held their ground, giving the soldiers a small head start on their retreat.

"That's barely gonna last five seconds! " a soldier said as he saw the first tank being destroyed.

They had just made it to the watergate and was making their way across the catwalks above the empty reservoirs when the Basinites started to attack. Just before a tentacle pierced the armored spine plate of an unknowing soldier, it stopped dead in its tracks along with the rest. None of the soldiers had turned to see how close to death they were until they noticed the sudden absence of sound. Turning to see frozen tentacles and teeth inches from shredding them apart, they all staggered back in horrified shock.

    Wondering what the hell just happened, the Captain cautiously examined his would be executioner as he studied the Basinite just above him. It had its mouth wide open, teeth blaring, as it was about to have its first meal. Stepping out from under it, he looked at the rest of the soldiers as they all looked around confused, some backing away from what would've been a horrific death. The huge literal wave of Basinites suddenly dropped to the ground, lifeless.

There was the sound of small thrusters coming from above as they all looked up to see a shiny object streaking down towards them

There was the sound of small thrusters coming from above as they all looked up to see a shiny object streaking down towards them. Thinking it to be a missile, the Captain ordered everyone to take cover. Just as everyone quickly repelled off the catwalks into the empty reservoir, the object impacted the ground in front of them in a cloud of debris and smoke. Two glowing blue eyes was all that could be seen through the smoke. Realizing they weren't blown to bits, the soldiers all stood and looked as the smoke dissipated, revealing a white and teal colored humanoid figure.

"I've disrupted their radio frequency but it won't last long. Follow me." It said through everyone's comlink.

"It's him." A'Nika said, more to herself as the soldiers picked up on it. She began moving towards him as the rest followed suit.

Three of the soldiers activated and tossed their fusion grenade belts into the mass of Basinites before joining the rest. The belts exploded with a delayed shockwave just as everyone made it inside the pressure tubes. They followed the android as he led them through the maze work of tunnels until they reached a large open area.

"If any of them survived the blast, it'll be a while before they find you here..." He said once everyone was inside. "...these walls are reinforced so no signal can interfere with the equipment." He finished.

They all looked around to see that they were in an abandoned pump station. A lot of the equipment were no longer operational and some had missing components as if they had been stripped. A'Nika ran over to Andro and embraced him.

"What happened? Everyone thought you had died in the invasion. I knew you would survive but figured you would need help, so I came back. You must've knew someone would because I picked up your signal when I reached Earth but it kept disappearing." She said as she stepped back and examined his silver body. She saw he had removed a power core from his left side. Probably damaged in battle.

"Happened during the invasion. That's how I escaped once I saw all of you were safe." He said as he saw her tracing the edge of the small empty slot with her finger.

"You want to explain to me what the hell just happened back there?...and thank you, whoever you are." The Captain said as he walked up.

#GREENCLOUD79

Title cover and insert by Google Search: Silver Android Robots