Hold Your Tongue

In the second week of December Professor McGonagall came around as usual collecting names for who's staying in Hogwarts over Christmas break. They decided it was the perfect time to talk to Malfoy, Mikayla told them she couldn't stay. "This might be the last time I see my mother alive guys, I have to go." She stated offering them no reason to object or argue, they had no idea what was going through Mikayla's head. They know whatever is happening she's changing how she reacts to things. For example, Percy shouting at her and saying those awful things to her, the old Mikayla would've got really angry and hit him at least twice, the new one just stood there taking all the insults and stayed calm. Was it because her mother that she felt so useless towards helping her friends to find out about the Chamber of Secrets or was it just because she will have to live with him and didn't want to disappoint Mrs. Weasley that she kept her hands to herself.

The foursome realised soon enough that in order to get the Polyjuice Potion ready in time they'd have to steal it from Snape today. They came up with a plan that Hermione should do it because she has the cleanest slate. Mikayla would throw a firework into Goyle's cauldron spreading Swelling Potion onto everyone causing chaos therefore a great distraction. They stood in potions class making the potions, Mikayla table was in the back corner where no one would see her throw the firework. Snape turned to go bully Neville, Hermione and Mikayla shared a nod before Mikayla tapped her wand off the firework before throwing it perfectly into Goyle's cauldron. It exploded sending swelling potions everywhere and causing the chaos they had intended. Snape was distracted as he used the antidote on all students effected. Hermione got everything she needed.

A week later, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Michaela were walking across the entrance hall, when they saw a group of peers gathered around the noticeboard, reading a piece of parchment that had just been pinned up. "They're starting a Duelling Club! First meeting tonight. I wouldn't mind duelling lessons, they might come in handy one of these days." Seamus excitedly told the foursome. They decided they would go to the meeting at eight. "Whatever is in the school attacking students isn't something that will give you a chance to throw down the gauntlet." Mikayla spoke matter-of-factly to Hermione as they both changed out of their uniforms into some old clothes they didn't mind destroying. "Who do you think will be running it? I think it'll be Professor Lockhart since he has a lot of experience." Hermione spoke admiringly making Mikayla want to vomit. Hermione has got it bad for him, Ron does however comment how terrible Lockhart is whenever he gets the chance. Mikayla flicked her wand, her hair snapped into a messy bun on the top of her head with little pieces hanging out to frame her face.

At 8 o'clock that evening, they hurried to the Great Hall for duelling lessons. There was a long golden stage, lit by thousands of floating candles overhead. Most of the school seemed to be standing in the room. Lockhart grabbed everyone's attention as he made a dramatic entrance onto the stage, Snape followed behind him. Mikayla and Harry groaned at the pair, Lockhart and Snape did an example before calling up a student each. "Mikayla O'Brien." Lockhart called, Mikayla shyly got onto the stage as she heard some people whoop at the announcement of her name. "Pansy Parkinson." Snape called, Pansy had a rather smug look on her face, Mikayla smirked back at her. The girls walked to the middle of the stage, wands in front of their faces, "Don't worry Wormy, I won't bloodily you up too badly." Pansy spat Mikayla smiled at her, "I won't be so generous, Pansy." Lockhart instructed them to bow, they followed instructions before walking to their end of the stage. Mikayla knew Pansy wasn't going to wait until the end of the countdown. "Anteoculatia!" Pansy shouted but Mikayla blocked it, "Colloshoo" Mikayla said quickly, Pansy feet stuck to the ground. "Densaugeo." Pansy yelled, Mikayla used the reverse shield spell, Pansy's teeth started growing really quickly. "Locomotor Wibbly." Mikayla fought back, Pansy's legs trembled while her stayed in place. Everyone was laughing at this point even the Slytherins. "Levicorpus." Spoke quietly, Mikayla didn't hear what she said but soon she was hanging upside down by her ankles. "Expelliarmus." Mikayla disarmed Pansy before performing "Liberacorpus" which put her back on the ground. "I think it's safe to say that Miss O'Brien won this duel. Ten points to Gryffindor!" All the Gryffindors cheered as Lockhart spoke, Mikayla hurried off the stage, fighting Pansy made her forget that people were watching her. Harry and Draco were up next. "Well done, Mikayla." The twins smile hugging her, "She didn't stand a chance." Wood congratulated Mikayla.

Harry and Draco's duel was quite explosive and everyone found out that Harry was a Parselmouth, meaning he can talk to snakes and making him the main suspect for the heir of Slytherin. Harry doesn't know how he does it, he wasn't aware that he could speak to snakes or that no one else knew what he was saying. "This is bad. Really bad." Mikayla states as they rush to Gryffindor Tower. Once in the common room, people were staring at Harry and whispering, Mikayla sent death glares around the room. "Mikayla, can we talk to you for a second?" Mikayla looked confused at Oliver and Katie, before nodding that they could talk. The three of them walked into a corner, "Would you come to the next quidditch practice, so I can see how you fly?" Mikayla looked at them completely deadpan, "Why would you need to see how I fly?" Mikayla asked, "Well, Angelina quit the team. Fred told me that you'd be a great chaser but I'd need to see for myself." Mikayla nodded as Wood spoke, "Why'd Angelina quit?" Mikayla continued the questions, "She is unsure she wants to be associated with Harry after finding out he's a Parselmouth." Mikayla was disgusted by Katie's answer, Harry has played with her for over a year and now she doesn't want to be associated with him. "I'll be there." Mikayla nodded returning to her friends. "What was that about?" Ron asked, "Angelina has quit quidditch because she doesn't want people thinking her and Harry are friends. They were offering me a tryout because Fred told them I'm a great flyer." Mikayla told them, she didn't see the point in lying to Harry why Angelina quit. "That's awful." Hermione spoke shocked, "Harry, I wouldn't let it bother you ok? The ones that care about you will believe you and that's what matters." Mikayla smiles sitting beside her best friend.