Chapter 3: Bumpy start

I was about half way through my packing before there was a knock at my door. I pushed myself from the floor and headed to my kitchen.

"Hey" I smiled as Rodney walked in. He seemed pretty comfortable with me at this point, I didn't know why but we seemed to click pretty well.

"So this is the place..." Rodney looked around and puffed his cheeks. "Guess you don't need me to water your plants or anything."

"Yeah no." I laughed, I knew exactly what he was thinking. There were just boxes. The only thing that had been unpacked were one set of dinner wear and a few glasses. I didn't really have an excuse. "But like I said just come by once in a while and make sure no one broke in? I know you have a roommate so feel free to bring your girl around just change the sheets."

"You are a guy aren't you" He gave me a look. "That's my theory about you at least."

"Oh there are theories about me now." I said as I went back to my room. "Any fun ones."

"Jamie, from accounting, thinks you ran from an abusive ex"

"Not surprised there... I have seen the romance novels on their desk. Isnt that the typical story of those main characters?"

"That's what I said, my favorite is Melissa thinks you are from a small town on the east cost-"

"Well I am"

"Oh I am not finished, she thinks you were involved in some crazy scandal and the only way you could live a normal life is to flee to the west."

"Jesus fuck- does anyone think something normal."

"I mean Charlie just thinks you are recovering over a bad break up."

I froze in my steps for a second but managed to keep my face straight. "Well I guess that is the best I will get."

"Yeah." I handed him the keys and nodded over to the fridge. "Vodka is in the freezer, beer and wine in the fridge, bud in the cabinet."

"Glad you got all the food groups..." Rodney said as he headed over. He wasn't judgemental but he had a way of pointing out your flaws gently. "So are we going to talk about it?"

"My drinking?" I called from my room as I packed more clothes away. "I really don't think.

"No asshat your date?"

"Oh fuck that." I laughed. "So... nothing is going to happen... until the tour ends."

"So you are going to travel around with this guy, that you are attracted to, while he meets his fanbase, who will want to sleep with him, unable to do anything about and just hope for the best." Rodney gave me a look.

"It will be fine. Honestly i am just happy that he won't try anything-"

"Who lied to you?" Rodney said as he handed me a beer. "He will most certainly try something."

"he said he wouldn't."

"Okay but now you are the forbidden fruit.... Any guy would want to fuck you even more now. Its fun."

I gave him a look. "I just worked this out for myself, I don't need you poking holes in it."

"Im not poking Lottie- I am pointing to the massive iceberg in your haul." He said. "But hey lets talk about something else. I heard Marcus wants to start recruiting travelling shows."

"Oh fuck really?" I was grateful we stopped there. Rodney knew when to stop pushing, he also knew he got the point across. But he didn't know me. I could do this. I really could.