28 || The Monster

Start from the beginning

"But there's nothing written in it." Katie pointed out simply and passed the diary back to Harry, who carefully pocketed the book.

"Ron recognised the name. Said he got a award for special services to the school. It was on a plaque that he scrubbed during detention at the start of the year."

Both Katie and Harry stopped talking after that. Katie shivered and her teeth momentarily chattered. Harry took note of this. He removed his Gryffindor scarf and wrapped it around Katie's neck. She smiled gratefully and fixed the scarf so that it was on comfortably.

"Thank you."

Harry smiled before his face fell sincere once again. "I don't believe Malfoy, by the way."

Katie cocked her head to the side in confusion.

"I know you're not the heir of Slytherin, Katie. Ron knows it too. You wouldn't attack Muggle-borns like that."

"Thanks, Harry. Tell Ron I said thanks, too." Katie smiled weakly.

"Tell me yourself."

Katie and Harry jumped in fright at the sound of a third voice and strained their necks to see a grinning Ron Weasley standing behind them. He plopped down on the grass next to Harry.

"Don't mind Malfoy, Katie. He's just being a prat. Of course you're not the heir of Slytherin," Ron said. "But, Blimey! A Parselmouth! I did not see that coming."

Katie frowned. "Neither did I."

***

January came and went in a blur, and once Valentine's Day had passed, everything changed. Dumbledore had been suspended and all the students were constantly on their toes, fearful that, with Dumbledore gone, the next attack would surely be a killing.

After some extensive digging and help from T.M Riddle's diary, Harry discovered that it was Hagrid who had opened the Chamber of Secrets fifty years ago. The monster was a giant spider, and T.M Riddle, who's name, Harry found out, was Tom Marvolo Riddle, turned him in. That was why Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts in his third year.

Along with Dumbledore, Hagrid had been removed from the school, only the gamekeeper was taken to a cell in the horrible Azkaban prison.

"How do you know all of this?" Katie had asked, astounded, when Harry told her all the new information. Harry went about explaining how he was taken inside Tom Riddle's diary, to a memory fifty years ago, in which Tom found Hagrid guilty.

Katie could hardly believe it.

***

Hermione had barely left the hospital wing, furr-less and whisker-less, when she was taken back off to a hospital bed. Katie vividly remembered the day.

She was sat at lunch with Pansy and Draco, discussing their theories as to why the Quidditch match (Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff) had been cancelled.

"Do you think there was another attack?" Pansy asked, her expression wan. Katie stiffened and, at the exact same time, Malfoy smirked at her.

"Yes." Katie nodded, shifting around uncomfortably under Draco's mischievous gaze.

As the trio continued to converse about the possible attack, there was a thundering of footsteps on the stone floor, and before Katie had time to process what was happening, she was being whisked away by Harry.

"You have to see this." he said fretfully. Harry hurried up the many flights of steps and Katie followed close behind him. She eventually found herself at the doors to the hospital wing.