"Thank you." Brienne lowered her eyes feeling guilty.

He nodded and moved the chairs that flanked the table nearer to the fire. Brienne chose the one by the bed, and sat stiffly. Noticing a flagon of wine resting on the table Tormund poured two cups and joined her, now relaxing much closer together than they had on the first night of their journey. This evening's events caused them to sit in an awkward silence for some time. Their minds raced for something to say to break their embarrassment. Neither could tell whether their flushed faces were the result of the heat from the fire, or their accelerated heartbeats. Finally, they each tried to close the gap that seemed to have formed between them.

"You were..." Brienne began.

"I think you..." Tormund started at the same time.

They cut each other off, and laughed at the coincidence. Fiddling for something to break the tension, they each sipped their wine pensively. Their shallow with nervousness.

Tormund motioned for Brienne to continue, but she shook her head. "I'm taking the bed." She smiled. "The least I can do is let you speak first." Without intending to, Brienne regarded him so sweetly that lost his breath and almost could not speak.

He grinned, and forced his voice up from his throat. "I think you eased their minds tonight. You made them feel better. To know they haven't been forgotten." He praised Brienne.

"I hope so." Her face was gravely worried. "I'm frightened for them. They do not have enough to survive much longer. I know Queen Sansa will do whatever she can to assist them..." Brienne swallowed hard to stop her voice from choking with tears of compassion. "But Winterfell is so far away. They need help now." She looked away and a tear trailed down her cheek.

Tormund's heart hurt to see Brienne in such pain. It swelled with pride at the thought of her tenderness and mercy. She was moved to tears at the plight of people she had just met. She astonished him. Brienne was the kindest, most caring person he had ever known.

Not thinking, nor caring how it seemed, he took her hand and held it softly by the firelight. Brienne looked at him and was caught by his arduous gaze. Without hesitation, she stared back at him. Their eyes held each other for longer than should have been comfortable. However, neither wanted to move, as if looking away would steal something they could never have again. Something far to precious to take lightly.

Brienne leaned closer to him, surprising even herself. She wanted his kiss on her mouth. She could almost feel his caress on her body. She longed for it. She wanted him. Her brain raced to determine when she had begun to desire him, to need him close to her. Perhaps she always had, but something or someone, had blinded her toward him. Brienne thought back to that first time they had sat across from each other, over the meager at Castle Black which Tormund had made seem a feast.

She recalled how her heart had raced and her faced flushed when he entered the room and sat so close to her. Brienne had stolen a timid glance at him then, wanting desperately to determine if the same intense fascination with which he had beheld her arrival remained. From the way Tormund stared at her over the crust of bread he devoured, it was clear that his smitten interest had not disappeared. No man had ever looked at her that way before him. Never, before the moment she rode through the gates of the Fortress of the Nights Watch had Brienne ever seen eyes that followed her with such lust. Brienne had never felt so thrilled, and so completely terrified at the same time. But, she had refused to let down her walls for him, had turned from him, almost cruelly. Then they each had gone their separate ways. He to lead his band of Wildlings. Her to Winterfell, and eventually to Jaime. She choked back his memory, and bid herself not to think of the man who had hurt her so deeply. The one who had wanted her from the first moment he saw her was there, with her, holding her hand and staring deeply into her eyes. For the first time, Brienne felt it truly possible to leave Jaime Lannister in the past. She found herself wondering if there was still a chance for her with Tormund Giantsbane. Now, she could give herself to him freely. She found herself shocked by how much she wanted to do just that.