"We're friends. Nothing more." Cass watched Avery closely. She was terrified.

"You're lying again Cassiopeia!" Avery said, throwing his hands up in anger. He grabbed Cass by the wrists and started twisting. "I see you with Snape, Longbottom, Shacklebolt and even Pettigrew." Averys grip tightened with every name. Cass gasped in pain. "I'm not an idiot Cass, do you take me for an idiot?" She shook her head frantically.

"Of course not." She croaked. Avery released her arms from his grip.

"Then I want you to stop speaking to them."

"Pardon?"

"Stop talking to them. I don't want you to go near them."

"I can't do that." Cass said in shock.

"You can and you will."

"No." Cass whispered.

"What?" Avery jerked his head as if he'd been slapped.

"I said no." Cass said determinedly. Avery was almost shaking with anger as he shoved Cass up against the wall. He took ahold of her by her neck. She gasped for air.

"Listen to me Cassiopeia, if I so much see you think about them there'll will be consequences so severe you'll wish that we hadn't sorted things out and you were still dealing with the wrath of your parents. Do you understand me?" Avery hissed. Cass struggled for air. "Do you understand me?!"

"Yes." She managed to wheeze. Avery let her go and Cass fell to the floor, gasping for air. Avery stormed out. Tears streamed down her face as she struggled to get her breath back. She scraped herself up off of the floor and held onto a desk to steady herself. Fuck.

•••

"Cass, what the fuck happened?" Sirius asked as Cass staggered into the common room.

"Nothing, I'm fine." Cass shrugged it off and collapsed into an armchair.

"You've been gone for over an hour." Sirius said. He surveyed Cass carefully. She looked exhausted.

"I got absorbed in a book Sirius. You know how it is." Cass sighed.

"Oh and where is said book?" Sirius said. He raised his eyebrows and folded his arms.

"I decided I didn't want it." Cass said.

"But you just said-"

"Just leave it Sirius." Cass said quietly. "I was at the library. End of."

"But-"

"Jesus! I was at the fucking library. What's the problem?"

"There isn't one. Sorry." Sirius muttered. Cass shook her head.

"I just wish you'd start trusting me. I can handle myself."

"What do you mean? Of course I trust you!"

"Then why are you interrogating me about where I've been when I told you where I was going and where I was?" Cass asked. Sirius stayed silent. "Exactly."

"Cass-"

"Goodnight Sirius." Cass said, standing up from her chair. Sirius watched her walk up to the girls dormitory. He sat staring at the fire.

"Sirius? Is that you?" The sleepy voice of Remus asked. Sirius jumped and turned around.

"Hey Rem. What are you still doing up?"

"Could ask you the same thing." Remus said, flopping onto the sofa next to him. Sirius shrugged. "I was waiting for you to come to the dorm, but it was getting late and I was worried so I came to find you."

"You're adorable." Sirius said. Remus pouted.

"I am not!"

"You so are." Sirius said. He yawned loudly. "Maybe we should hit the hay."

"But I just got comfy." Remus moaned. Sirius nodded agreement. "Accio blanket."

"Remus what are you-" Sirius was interrupted by a blanket hitting him in the face.

"Well I don't want to be cold."

"You're actually so adorable." Sirius grinned. Remus elbowed him. "Why didn't you get two blankets?"

"Couldn't be arsed. Now, either share with me or be cold." Remus said, settling in with the blanket. Sirius cuddled up beside him.

"Night Rem." He murmured.

"Goodnight Sirius."