The Prince's Taking

A/N

Hello there my purple unicorns. :) This is my first story so go kinda easy on me if you please. Comment so I can do better if you feel as though there is something that I can improve on. Hope you enjoy!

Kailia's P.O.V.

I knew what this was, as I had known it was coming. But my mind refused to accept what all of my senses were telling it. I could see it in the smoke rising, clouding the sky. I could taste the bitterness of the fear I felt. I could feel the ground vibrating, pulsing with the impact of running feet hitting the ground. I could smell the blood, pooling on the ground beside the men of our village, who had done nothing except to attempt to save us from what came for us. I could hear my friends shrieking, sobbing, calling for help, and crying in fear and anger. I knew that if I so much as moved one single muscle, I myself would be caught. And they wouldn't want that, just as I didn't want them to be caught. If I let the guards capture me I knew all the other girls would be disappointed in me.

I was behind three barrels filled with the grain that would be used to plant this summer's crops. I know it seemed obvious but I hadn't been spotted so far, and if I peaked between two of the barrels, I could clearly see what was going on. I winced as they shoved Selene into the cage. Yes, I said cage. We weren't even viewed as human anymore. A few of the guards were laughing. This was all a big game to them. They didn't care one little bit that we were human girls who were afraid of leaving our families, our homes.

Some of us may not ever see these familiar things around us again. Some of us would be married off to strangers, some of us would put to work as servants in the homes of various lords, or even the palace. One of us would marry the prince. It all depended on how we behaved. I shivered as a cold wind raked across my body. Spring was being hinted at, but the ground still had snow on it, and the sky was still grey with clouds that threatened to prolong the the icyness of the ground. Another peircing shriek nearly split my ears as one girl came running in my direction, being closely followed by a guard. My heart dropped as she lost her footing and careened into the barrels, toppling them over and effectively destroyed any chance I had at remaining unseen.

The guard chasing her tried to pull her up by her arm, but I tightly gripped her hand and jerked, making him lose his balance and fall over. The girl looked at me, her green eyes desperately afraid. I knew her, her name was Alice. We'd been playing together since we were children. I jumped up, pulling her with me. I started looking around for an escape, there were guards everywhere, and they were running out of girls to catch. We were trapped. But that didn't stop me from trying. I started running, weaving around girls and guards alike. Alice's hand held onto mine. I kept my eyes forward, trying to ignore the bodies laying on the ground. The men of our village. I felt more than one guard chasing me, but that just fueled the fear that was coursing through my veins, urging me forward. I skidded on some ice as I changed directions. Alice's wieght countered mine, keeping me on my feet. I looked gratefully at her as she hauled me up and off the ice patch.

We started running again, not wanting to stop again for even a moment. We didn't even bother to avoid people or objects anymore, ramming past some guards. I knew the girls wouldn't hold it against us, but the guards might not take it so kindly. My eyes locked on the forest, I could see a few girls disappearing into the thick trees. The guards didn't even try to follow. Once we got into the forest, there was no getting us back. Even in the snow, we knew those woods better than anyone else. I wondered how many girls had made it in there. I hoped with all my heart that Twill had made it to the woods. She was my closest friend, always had been. If either of us were caught, the odds of us ever seeing each other again were slim to none. I knew she'd be looking for me. I had to get Alice and I into the forest. I knew where we would be safe. It was a place Twill and I had always called our own, ever since we started building it when we were children. We had always agreed to meet there when they came for us, assuming they didn't catch us. Well they came for us, and I hadn't been caught, yet.