No King's Queen

Hey hi hello! I am in a good mood today (I'm gonna be dancing like the maniac I am in a music video tonight) So I thought I'd upload something. Now, I know I said the chapters would be longer, but I don't know if I'm gonna have the time today. So, to specify, in the future, I will be trying to make the chapters longer. K? Good. Read on!

Twill's P.O.V.

Anger doesn't even begin to describe how I feel at this moment. He had the audacity to carry me about like a sack of potatoes over his shoulder, and then he just locked me in what he said would be my bedchambers until the day we were married. That day would not be coming.

 He had been gone for hours, leaving me pacing the room, searching for a way out. The window was useless. We were too high up. And even if I had found a way to get out of here through the window, I would have still had to deal with the three guards posted below it. Not to mention all the men guarding the rest of this place. I was able to see other parts of the building we were in, if I stood towards the right side of the window and looked to the left. It looked as though it were some kind of old fortress. But the stones were falling off, making it look run down. That was probably why they had chosen it in the first place. No tapestries, no flags, nothing to make it look royal or signal the presence of a "Prince". If I had to venture a guess, it would be becuse they didn't want the King's army to descend upon them. It was common knowledge that the bandit king hated the true king.

 Every child knew the story. The bandit king, Shar, and the true king, Liare, are brothers, fighting for control of this land. Dividing the kingdom. It all started 13 years ago. Our kingdom, and the kingdom south of us, Lebeat, were fighting for control of certain shipping lanes. Shar wanted to wage a war against Lebeat, while his older brother was more interested in peacefull negotiations. Shar started to rebel against Liare, claiming his brother was unfit to rule this kingdom, spreading rumors. He gathered followers. But Liare releaved Shar of any power he held in the Kings City. Shar, of course, left after that, continuing to gather followers, hoping to one day have enough of an army to dethrone his older brother. He was called the bandit king, because most of those who rallied behind him were criminals, common thugs and thieves.

 No one knew about Reft however. How he fell into the role of the bandit prince. Some said he was the long lost son of the bandit king, others said he was the first lad to fall into favor with Shar. other, wiser folks said that it was unknown. I was tempted to ask him, had I not been so overcome with the desire to spit in his face the moment he walked in the door.

 I walked from the window to the large bed across from it, collapsing onto it in frustration. The sun was begining to set at this point, meaning I had been locked in that room for over seven hours. I closed my eyes and invisioned strangling him. If she had been here, Kailia would have scolded me for thinking such things.

"Now Twill," She would say. "You must be more patient. If you are not kind to others, how are you to expect them to be kind to you?"

I felt my lips curl up in a slight smile at this. She would have been right of course, she often was. I sighed and wondered where she was. What had her kind spirit gotten her? Had she already been declared the future bride of some fat old Lord? Or had she perhaps been selected for the Prince himself? Wouldn't that be a coincidence? Kailia being chosen for the true prince, me for the bandit Prince.

"It's nice to see you smiling rather than threatening my life." His voice came from my right. My whole body jolted and my eyes shot open, my head quickly whipping to the right to glare at him in anger and shock. I hadn't even heard him enter the room, let alone walk over to where I was laying. He was croutched beside the bed, studying me. He chuckled at my expression.

"You look surprised. You didn't think I'd leave you in here all day without at least coming to visit, did you?" He asked, trying to hide the grin of pure pleasure at seeing that he'd surprised me. It wasn't an easy task.  Rather than replying, I sat up and moved away from him, choosing to stand by the window instead. I began staring down the last pink rays of the sunset. I heard him walk towards me, his feet echoing on the stone floor. I scolded myself for not hearing it when he'd come in earlier. I felt him stand right behind me, not close enough that we were touching, just close enough to make me uncomfortable.

"The sunset is pretty here. Though from my bedchamber it is on full display, on just a piece of it. You will see for yourself when you are my queen."

I stiffened at that. I wouldn't allow it. I would rather die than marry this disgusting man.

"If you think I have ant intention of marrying you, or any other man like you, you are indeed a fool." Her words were venomous.

"I am not a fool. However, you are if you beleive there is any way you can stop our marrage. I have spoken to the king, and he gives his blessing. The preparations are underway. We will overthrow the pretender soon enough. In four months, I will take his place as king, and you as my queen." His voice was hard as he said this, each word feul for my ever growing anger. I spun to look at him, our faces inches apart.

 "You are mistaken. You will never rule this land, and more importantly, I am no king's queen!"

Reft sighed, looking tired. Without another word he turned and made his way to the door. He turned to look at me before leaving.

"The wedding is in two weeks. Good night, Twill."

I waited. I waited for the door to close entirely. I waited until I was sure he was far enough down the hallway not to hear. Then I flung myself on the bed, sobbing.

I didn't want him to see me cry. I didn't want anyone to. The only person who had seen me cry, ever, was Kailia. I sobbed harder when I thought of her. Oh, if only she had been there with me! If only we had both escaped into the woods, we would have stayed in our cave for a few days and then made our way to the cottage. None of this would have happened. I cried until I felt exhausion sweep through me. Darkness closed in from the edges of my vision, enveloping me in comforting oblivion.

So, there it is. It's not very good, but it's up now. Let me know what you think! I love reading any comments you have for me!

Stay incredible,

Brook