79. Meeting Everett Ross

"So, you like cats?" Sam asks the prince, who sits two rows in front of him. I in the row before T'Challa so I can't see the smirk obviously on Sams face. We're being driven by the cops in a van, cuffed in our seats like animals.

"Sam." Steve warns.

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?" Sam defends.

Steve ignores him, "Your suit... It's Vibranium?"

"Like your shield?" I asked shocked.

T'Challa explains hesitantly, "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you... as both warrior and king... how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

"Cocky." I mutter as Steve goes mute. We exit the vehicle when we arrive and we catch the sight of Bucky. He's in a containment made for what looks like the hulk. We are lead inside sulking until we meet Sharon again.

"What's gonna happen to him?" Steve presses immediately.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition." Ross remarks and my blood boils.

"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander." Sharon introduces.

I snarl with sarcasm and Sharon silences, "Thanks for introducing us."

Steve shushes me and asks, "What about our lawyer?"

"Lawyer. That's funny. See their weapons are placed in lockup. Oh, we'll write you a receipt." Everett Ross jokes rudely. As we keep walking forward, Sam sees our things getting taken away.

He threatens, "I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that."

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?" Everett Ross offers.

"I'd say this isn't equal treatment." I bite back and Everett Ross shakes his head disapprovingly.

"You can gladly join him." Ross replies slyly, "With that attitude it's no wonder they call you Cold Shoulder."

"Make yourself at home." Nat approaches and then joins us in our long walk.

T'Challa responds, "I don't intend on going anywhere."

"For the record, this is what making things worse looks like." Nat walks beside me telling Steve.

"He's alive." Steve only says.

When we finally find our destination it's hectic and Tony is on the phone midst it all, "No. Romania was not Accords-sanctioned. And, Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup."

"Try not to break anything while we fix this." Nat tells before taking her leave.

Tony is still on the phone when he catches my eyes, "Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that 'cause I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir."

"'Consequences'?" Steve repeats.

"Secretary Ross wants you both prosecuted. Had to give him something." Tony replies as if it's obvious.

"I'm not getting that shield back, am I?" Steve smiles through the tension.

"Technically, it's the government's property. Wings, too." Nat looks back with a grin as she walks, "As well as your guns Isabelle, glad to see you could make it."

"That's cold." Sam remarks slyly.

"You can say that again." I roll my eyes.

"Warmer than jail." Tony defends proudly.

-

"The receipt for your gear." Sharon returns with a sheets of paper.

Sam reads, "'Bird costume'? Come on."

Sharon defends, "I didn't write it."
Sharon pushes a button which plays the audio from Bucky's evaluation.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James." The man begins.

"My name is Bucky." He replies and I see Steve stiffen.

Steve studies the blurry photograph of the man who bombed the congress in Vienna to distract himself,
"Why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?"

"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" I shrug slightly as Sharon leaves us to talk.

"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier." Steve tells.

"You're saying someone framed him to find him." I repeat.

"Steve, we looked for the guy for two years and found nothing." Sam reminds.

"We didn't bomb the UN. That turns a lot of heads." Steve informs.

"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would." I put.

The power suddenly goes out, all of us dumbfounded spot Sharon tapping the glass outside, "Sub-level 5, east wing."