25| from greenwood to mirkwood

Start from the beginning

My mind wandered back to our discussion of immortality back in Lothlorien. In the end, I realised Legolas was right. I needed more time to see the world.

I turned to Legolas. "I have not even been to Greenwood. What...what is it like there?"

The elf prince smiled softly.

"You would like it. It is a kingdom of green and gold, where the trees grasp the sky and the roots hug the earth. In winter, the crystalline snow settles upon the leaves, glittering like the mithril. In spring, the buds of flowers and leaves unfurl and blossom to reveal a new generation of lush beauty. In summer, the very air you breath seems to sparkle with sunlight."

I smiled as the elf's blue eyes sparkled like the purest of gems at the centre of the earth as he reminisced. His voice was like silk as he continued.

"However, I love autumn the most."

"Why is that?" I asked, curious and unable to pull my eyes away from his

"Well...it is a second chance to bloom, for the green to glow with new hues as pretty as any petal. It is...the promise of the most beautiful rain, the warmest of snowflakes, golds and fiery-reds, sparkling under the morning frost. It is those days that my breath is taken away."

But the spark in his eye slowly faded.

"But it is different now." His voice fell. "The darkness spread like a plague and foul creatures roamed the woods. Greenwood became Mirkwood."

I shook my head. Evil found its way into anything good. The fall of Maladros was fast, but the darkness took it's time with Greenwood, slowly decaying all that is pure from the inside out.

"Sometimes, I question whether I even wish to return or not." He muttered.

I nodded. I often had the same thought.

Legolas was quiet with thought for a moment.

"What is your home like?" The elf prince thoughtfully asked. "Wherever it is."

I closed my eyes and exhaled slowly, feeling the air leave my lungs as the once-great kingdom of Maladros flashed before my eyes.

Smooth white towers rose out of the ground, pure and glittering gold spiralling around elegant pillars that stretched up to the ceilings above.

A sad smile passed over my face, and a soft sigh left my lips as I let the good memories resurface.

We were built upon a mountain, and when I stood upon that highest ledge, the entire kingdom stretched out before me, a vast expanse of white and gold tucked into the corner of the mountainside. In the distance, a waterfall tumbles from a crevice, sparkling like a stream of diamonds. It was simply breathtaking.

But with the pleasant memories came the ones I tried so hard to keep buried.

I clenched my jaw.

"It's gone. It's nothing but ruins now."

Legolas' expression fell.

"When...when did it happen, if you don't mind me asking?"

I sighed. "Centuries ago. When I was just a child."

There was a moment of quiet between us as we silently rode side by side.

"I'm sorry." His voice was sincere. "I guess you haven't returned either."

I shook my head, casting my eyes to the ground.

"How could I bear to look upon the destruction that..."

I closed my eyes, letting the words fall from my tongue.

"...that I caused."

The blonde elf's brows furrowed as I let slip one of the key pieces of my past. I didn't know what spurred me to do that, but something about Legolas' calm, almost comforting presence just made me want to tell him.

"Whatever happened, I'm sure it was not your fault."

"I watched as my own father was slain before me, a fate that I brought upon him. How...how is it not my fault?

A mirthless chuckle fell from my lips. "You don't even know what kingdom I'm talking about."

"That's true," he conceded, "but I also know that you were young, and that you shouldn't hold yourself responsible for something I don't think you could not possibly control."

I bit my lip, nodding slowly. I had heard those words countless times before. And I would probably agree, if that was all to my story. But the thing is, that was not the case.

There was something that I neglected to mention. Something that I could not ever forgive myself for. The unforgettable stone-grey eyes that I saw in my nightmares came to mind, along with a single name that sent bitterness and regret running through my veins.

Maeglor.

No one, not even Gandalf or Aragorn knew about him. And I needed it to stay that way.

Hours passed, our quiet conversations drifting over the grassy plains as the light of day slowly began to wane.

I squinted. In the distance, the stoic mountain range seemed to stretch as far as the eyes could see, wisps of vaporous clouds shrouding their ice-capped tops, a veil to what lay above, the roots of the majestic mountain range just at our feet.

As the people around us began to settle down for the night, we dismounted, before finding our own space amongst the rest of the Rohirrim.

Taking out the remaining lembas, I offered a piece to Legolas as we leant against Aldion's warm body.

"Actually, I do believe Éowyn has thrown something together."

He pointed at the golden-haired maiden as she made her way over the lush green hill, iron pot in hand.

She approached, greeting the two of us with a smile.

"I made some stew, would you care for some?" She asked hopefully. "It's hot."

Suddenly, a strange and putrid odour wafted into my nostrils, and I suppressed a grimace as I traced the smell back to whatever was in the pot. Taking a glance inside, I could make out indiscernible chunks of meat floating around in a lumpy pale liquid.

Legolas also looked inside, before his eyes met mine in a silent moment of agreement.

"Thank you Éowyn, but we're alright." The elf prince denied politely.

I sent her a smile. Éowyn returned it and nodded.

"Alright, well...let me know if you change your mind."

I nodded my head. "Will do."

As she began to walk away, I met Legolas' eye with raised eyebrows. He chuckled.

"The lembas sounds like a good idea now."

"Good choice."

I handed a piece to him before settling back into Aldion, who was lying on the floor, his large head between his paws. Legolas stroked Aldion's head with curiosity beneath those cerulean eyes of his. Aldion did not seem to mind the slightest, instead, he began to lean into it.

I couldn't suppress a smile.

Despite the impending doom that was Saruman's forces behind us, I felt at peace as I sat there watching the setting sun. Soft golden rays stretched towards us, filtering from behind the range of mountains. A light breeze swept through the plains, combing through my hair. It was quiet and tranquil, like the surface of an undisturbed lake.

I breathed the air and closed my eyes.

But I knew it would be short lived.