chapter two

After the pair had finished cleaning the racks, they wasted no time in leaving Watto's Shop and hitting the streets of town, eager to head back home. But as they made their way, Ryha noticed the same funny creature from earlier at one of the vendors.

"Isn't that...?" she asked, drawing Anakin's attention to the oafish thing.

"Yeah," Anakin trailed off, trying to get a better look. "He's talking to Sebulba."

"Talking? It looks like he's about to get killed."

"Come on."

Anakin wasted no time in heading over to where the odd creature and Sebulba were, dragging Ryha along with him. As they approached, they saw Sebulba raise his fist to hit the poor thing on the ground, and that's when Anakin decided to make his presence known.

"Careful, Sebulba," he taunted, "He's a big-time outlander. I'd hate to see you get diced before we race again."

"Next time we race, boy, it will be the end of you." Sebulba hissed. "If you weren't a slave, I'd squash you both right now."

"Yeah, it'd be a pity if you had to pay for us." Ryha muttered just loud enough for both of them to hear.

Sebulba glared at the two children before skulking off back where he came from, leaving them alone with the creature on the floor. Anakin sighed, and helped the large thing up from the floor, shaking his head at Ryha as he did so.

"Hi," a new voice spoke, garnering all of their attention.

Ryha took a step behind Anakin at the sight of the man from earlier on, but Anakin didn't seem phased in the slightest. In fact, he almost looked happy to see the man.

"Hi there," he smiled. "Your buddy here was about to be turned into orange goo. He picked a fight with a Dug — an especially dangerous Dug — called Sebulba."

"Mesa haten crunchen. Das da las ting mesa want." the creature spoke, making Ryha cringe at the sound of his shrill voice.

"Nevertheless, the boy is right. You were heading into trouble." the man spoke, looking to Anakin and Ryha. "Thank you, my young friends."

As the three outlanders began to make their way away from the scene, Anakin began to follow them. Confused, Ryha pulled his hand back, creating somewhat of a distance between them before speaking.

"What are you doing, Ani?" she asked. "We have to get home soon before your mother starts to worry."

"Look at them. They'll die out here without our help!" Anakin explained, gesturing to the three strangers. "Don't worry about mom, we'll be home in time for dinner."

Sighing, Ryha allowed Anakin to start walking again, dragging behind him slightly as he enthusiastically caught up with them.

"I have a bad feeling about this..." she murmured to herself.

The five of them walked for a bit, making light conversation here and there before Anakin stopped at another vendor's tent.

"Here," Ani spoke up, handing the tall man some food. "You'll like these pallies."

"Thank you," the man spoke, taking the food and tucking it beneath his tunic, giving Ryha and Anakin a glimpse of what was attached to his hip holster.

Ryha was encaptured by the sight, never having seen anything like it before, and curious as to what it was exactly. But she was quickly pulled out of her intrigue by the friendly old woman's warnings.

"Oh, my bones are aching," she spoke with a worried tone. "A storm's coming up, Ani. You'd better get yourself and little Ryha home quick."

"I'm not little," Ryha pouted. "Why does everyone keep calling me that?"