Chapter 21 - Final Chapter

Start from the beginning

I raise my head to the sky and scream at the top of my lungs. "ONE MORE OUT!!"

My teammates follow my war cry with each of their own and the crowd does the same. The Yankee batter, Arnold Gobs, steps into the batter's box and watches me with fire in his eyes. This kid's a rookie who started at the beginning of the season and has done some pretty great things, but his time to shine will come on a later date. Right now, I'm here to win.

I stand firmly on the plate and I scratch my left cheek with my finger. Jack punches his glove in response, exactly like he did before. What everyone in this stadium doesn't know is that what we both just did is a sign that we both came up with a long time ago and that what we're about to do has such a risk with it that we can only do it when we're desperate.

Jack gives me a fake sign for a fastball and gives me a second sign that I recognize that tells me the Yankee on second is leading off the base. I see in my peripheral that the Yankee on third is leading off a good amount too. Jack readies himself and I get my arms and legs ready for the coming play.

Just as it seems like I'm about to throw the ball toward home, I pivot on my heel and take a step toward second base and feel my arm start to rotate toward second. The Yankee, Ian Helix, dives back for second and my teammate, Satoshi Nakamura, holds his glove open for the ball. Ian slides back into second and Satoshi looks around frantically for the ball.

Right on cue, the Yankee on third, Carter Meyer, sprints for home. The stadium erupts in screams of protest, but everything's going according to plan. I quickly spin back to face home and see Arnold has moved out of the way for his teammate, cheering him on, and Jack is still in the exact same position as before.

I tighten the grip on the ball that still sits in my hand and bring my arm back behind me again. Carter is about hallway home when he sees I'm still holding the ball and his face pales at seeing it. My shoulder spins forward as a blinding speed and I feel the leather burning my fingers as it rockets toward Jack's awaiting glove.

The beautiful thump of the ball in Jack's glove fills my ears and he turns toward the third base line and holds the glove with the ball in front of his chest. Carter charges as fast and hard as he can at Jack and their bodies collide a second later, both of them landing in the dirt as a cloud of dust flies up.

As the dirt settles, I see Carter's hand on the plate. But as I look at Jack, I see him holding his glove above his chest and the white ball is still tightly clutched in Jack's glove. The umpire tightens his hand into a fist and holds it high above his head. "YOU'RE OUT!!"

Me, all of my teammates, and every fan in the stadium explode. I throw my glove high in the air and charge for home plate, where Jack is rising back to his feet. He holds his arms open for me with a gigantic grin on his face and I run into them. Our teammates surround us both and within a second, there's a giant huddle of orange, white, and black on the field.

The stadium is going crazy with all the fans in the stadium screaming at the top of their lungs. I feel myself being lifted above my teammates and see Jack on their shoulders as well. The screams and cheers of joy continue and I see fans pouring out onto the field. They surround all of us and join us in the celebration.

As I cheer, there's a single voice I can make out. "Eric!"

I look down and I grin at the man I'm looking at. Zane returns my grin and one of his and my teammates hoist him up as well and I pull him into a tight hug before giving the hardest kiss I've ever given him in my life. I try to start to talk to him, but my teammates start to carry me in the opposite direction of Zane.

I watch Zane be set back down on the field. "Zane!" I call to him. "I'll meet you back at the apartment in about an hour and a half!"

"Okay! I love you, Eric!"