Chapter 26: Promotion

Start from the beginning

Arthur frowned. "Why?"

"Why not?"

"It's against Ministry Policy. You, of all people, should know that."

Kingsley looked at the clock. "It's five o'clock right..." he watched the second hand tick four times, "now. The workday is over, so it doesn't matter. Besides, being Minister has its perks"

Arthur knew this probably wasn't a good idea. It was still unclear if this was a test that could potentially cost him his job. With how busy he had been and with someone always being around him, he had not drank since Ginny and Harry moved in. So if it didn't lose him his job, it could possibly snowball and lose him his daughter. Before he knew what he was doing, Arthur said, "Sure, I'll have whatever you're drinking." The part of him that missed the way the smooth amber liquid burned his throat and the thought that he wouldn't fall back into that cycle taking control.

"Scotch it is," Kingsley said.

The two men chatted idly as Kingsley poured Arthur's drink. As he handed the glass to Arthur, Kingsley flicked his wand and sent the bottle to a small table between two arm chairs in the corner of his office. Kingsley led Arthur to sit in the cushioned leather chairs.

As soon as he sat down, Arthur took a sip, closing his eyes as he savored the sweet flavor and the smooth burn that buried itself deep within his chest. He let out an inadvertent sigh. It had been just over two weeks since his last drink, but he didn't realize to what extent he missed it – how much he craved it - how much he needed it.

Kingsley observed curiously. The whisky was palatable, but it wasn't anything special. The many times he had drank with Arthur, the older man had never had this reaction. At least, not that he remembered. This raised a flag for Kingsley.

Arthur noticed Kingsley watching him. "It's been a while." He smirked, trying to ignore the renewed feeling of guilt that quickly crept up on him.

Kingsley wasn't sure how honest Arthur was being. He took a sip from his own glass and moved on. "I'm sorry I haven't visited recently. The past several weeks have been hectic. I've been working on starting a new department. How are Molly and the kids?"

Arthur hated it whenever someone asked this question. He always tried pushing Molly, Ron, and Charlie to the back of his mind. Besides, how was he supposed to know when he hadn't seen half his family in weeks? "They're well," he snapped before finishing the rest of his drink.

"Long day?" Kingsley queried, still suspicious. He refilled Arthur's glass.

"Something like that."

"So how are you, Arthur?" he asked, trying to see if there was something Arthur wasn't telling him.

"I'm fine. So fine, in fact, that I couldn't ask for anything else," he answered, doing a remarkable job at hiding how he really was.

"Well, you don't have to ask...because I'm offering."

"What are you talking about, Kingsley?"

"This new department I've been working on: The Department of Muggle Relations." Arthur had an idea of where this was going now. "The Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office will be expanded and moved to Level Three. Obliviator Headquarters will primarily be under the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophies, but there will also be work for the Department of Muggle Relations. The Muggle-Worthy Excuses Committee and Office of Misinformation will be moved to the Department of Muggle Relations. A few new offices, such as the Muggle Correspondence and Liaison Office and the Discrimination Against Muggles and Muggle-borns Office, will be added. This will be revolutionary! There has never been a department dealing solely with Muggles and Muggle-borns in Britain. The Ministry will gain a lot of PR from this and will gain renewed support from Wizarding Britain." He paused. "And I want you to head it."