Nine

Nobody woke me up this time around. Instead, I woke up naturally around eight, feeling a lot more refreshed than before. Before reality hit me, there was a brief moment of euphoria where I felt like everything was alright. I turned off the alarm I set before I slept and sat up, stretching my aching muscles. Strange how I had barely done anything that would require them to be sore, but they were nevertheless.

As if on cue, there were three knocks on my door and then Jacob entered. "Bella? You awake?" his voice was soft in case I wasn't. I nodded my head, cocking it to the sides to crack my neck as I did so. "I just woke up." "We're about leave in half an hour. I just wanted you to make sure you don't show up looking like...that," he gestured to my sweatshirt and basketball shorts. "Now that you mention it, I might," I said as I stood up from the bed and went to the closet. There were an abundance of dresses of varying sizes and colors. I remembered Harrison saying something about Tom liking red and as much as I wanted to not wear red, I found myself eyeing a scarlett dress. Taking it from the closet, I noticed it was backless save for a couple straps wrapping around it. As much as I hated to admit it, my boobs were too big for this dress. However, the dress was really cute and in my size; all I would have to do is tighten some of the straps to make sure there were no nip slips.

I was about to head to the bathroom when Jacob kicked the door closed behind him and said, "Bella, we need to talk." I already knew what it was about, I've had to go through it way too many times in the past few hours. "Is it about Lionel?" I asked, wanting to vomit his name rather than say it. "You damn well know it's about Lionel," he said, "He assaulted you! That's not okay!" "No shit," I rolled my eyes. I didn't want to be as nonchalant as I was, but if I kept freaking out over it, I would never get anything done. The best route was to cope with apathy and humor. Suppression is better than depression, after all.

"I feel so guilty," he sighed, "I should have done something. I shouldn't have just stayed quiet. I don't know why I did. I'm so sorry, Bella, I'm so fucking sorry." He started to run his hands over his scalp, as if he were trying to run it over his hair. I took notice of his hands, which were shaking. He really did feel guilty. This wasn't an act, he felt sorry for me. In a short amount of time he went from treating me like the job to caring about me. I put a hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down but it soon turned into a hug. "It's okay," I whispered, "You're not in the wrong. The only person to blame is Lionel. You're okay."

"But I'm not!" he exclaimed, "I've had Tom all over my ass about what happened. He fucking threatened to kill me!" I raised an eyebrow, "Tom should mind his own business. This is a Jacob and Bella issue, not a whole fucking mafia issue." "He really feels for you Bella," he said nonchalantly, "Anything that's a Bella issue becomes a Tom issue too." I pulled away from the embrace with a bewildered look on my face. "What do you mean he feels for me?"

Jacob hesitated. "It's just a guess," he said, "He's been watching you since he was seventeen like some celebrity. I figured now that you work for him he's grown some feelings." It wasn't entirely an implausible guess, it makes sense. Maybe it's why I had feelings for him. I've been on the run from him for so long I began to make him out as a god when he's no bigger than Lorenzo. When he finally caught me, I might've let out a sigh of relief when I could finally see he was human. And maybe now that I speculated he felt the same, I let out that same sigh of relief.

However, I still felt I just had Stockholm Syndrome; after all, he killed John and stabbed me in the leg. To the normal person, it'd be impossible to fall for the one person that's caused so much trauma in your life. It was better to cover up whatever I felt in case I was right about why I felt for him. I couldn't confess my feelings only for him to kill me once I return to him. I couldn't tell him I love him, and once he let me go I never share that same thought. Right now, Tom and I coexisted, which made what we felt about each other stronger. The second we separate, I doubt we will feel the same.