Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"We're in opposite ends of the building."

"Meet for lunch?" I raised my eyebrow and smiled.

"You don't have to stay for lunch if you don't have afternoon classes."

"But I also don't have a ride home if I don't stay, so..." I shrugged. "It's too cold to walk."

"I can drive you."

"No, you go to class and we'll meet for lunch. I want to catch up with Maible, too."

"You're sure?"

"Yes!" I laughed and started to step to the side.

Calin moved at the same time and leaned in to give me a hug, and our noses almost connected as our heads moved in the same direction. My breath left my lungs as our lips grazed and a jolt ran down to my toes.

We both took a step back and our gazes locked.

It was as though I couldn't look away.

"Oh, my God! Nora! Calin!"

I blinked and turned to see Maible as she jogged up to us, jumping the last step to engulf us both in a hug, pulling us closer together as her arms circled our shoulders with her in the middle. I blinked, then smiled, stepping back as soon as it wouldn't appear rude.

"You're back!" I wrapped both my arms around Maible once she released Calin. Letting go, I dropped my arms to my sides and forced a cheer to my voice. "What class do you have?"

"Psychology."

I smirked at Calin and put my arm around Maible's shoulders. "Perfect! We're this way." I hip-checked her and started walking away. "We can go be smart while Calin learns to finger paint."

"At least I don't need to wake up until second period!" he called after us, then started in the opposite direction, laughing.

I looked over my shoulder as we walked away from each other, wishing that Maible hadn't chosen that moment to interrupt. It had been barely a kiss—a fluke that couldn't be counted—but it was the first time since the night that I'd stripped the Larkin family of their abilities.

I wanted to talk about it or... do it again.

Yeah, I definitely wanted to repeat the mistake.

Looking straight, I promised that today I would find the time to push past the fear of rejection and tell Calin how I felt.

*****

Psychology was harder than I expected a class to be on the first day, but I could tell right away that I was going to enjoy it. Mrs. Marsh was friendly, and her lecture was anything but boring. It was more than I could say for Mr. Zilinski, who taught Mythology in second period. It was a filler class and sounded cool on the list of electives, but his voice was monotone.

Hopefully, once we moved past the syllabus, it would be less dry.

Myths were supposed to be full of love and death and magic and unveiled warnings.

Once I broke free, I didn't have to check my schedule again before third period, knowing that my last class of the day would be in the towers. Which level I was placed in was still unknown, but at least I had a room number and I knew how to get through the security. As soon as the bell rang, I bolted down the hallway to reach the tower entrance, hoping to be one of the first few students in line so that I wouldn't have to stand around waiting.

"Hey, Nora," Brad said as I almost barreled into his back. "What's the rush?"

"Hey," I said, catching my breath. "I, uh, didn't want to wait in line. I"—I pointed to his head and sucked in a breath— "like your haircut."

The first time we'd met, Brad had introduced himself to me and shown me around the towers, as well as through the security process, after Duvessa had tried to bully some kids in line. He'd had longer hair then, but he must have cut it over the break because now the black curls were tapered closer to his head.

"Thanks." He smiled, then stepped back and gestured for me to cut in front of him.

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. There's only three people in front of us."

"I insist. Ladies first and all that."

"Seriously, don't worry about it." I laughed and ducked my head as the number of students doubled as everyone went through the security one by one, each of them casting curious glances in my direction.

"So, did you have a good holiday?" I asked as we waited for the students in front of us to pass through the doors.

"I slept a lot," he said.

Finally, it was his turn to go. Brad held his thumb up to the keypad and waited for the snick as it was pricked to test his blood for magical properties. The door opened and he disappeared. Once it shut again, it was my turn, and I placed my thumb on the pad, only flinching a little as my skin pinched.

On the other side of the door, Brad was waiting. "What did you do during the break from school?" he asked, and we began ascending the stairs.

"Just hung out, I guess." I shrugged. "It was cold, but I took my dog for a lot of walks. Went for coffee."

"How'd you end up placing, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I don't mind, but I don't know." I rattled off the room number I was supposed to go to.

Brad whistled. "Good job."

"Why?"

"Because." He paused as we reached the top of the stairs and the second scanner. "Nobody has ever jumped from being in WC-1 to being in WC-10. I guess having parents like yours pays off, hmm?"

"I'm in WC-10?"

Before I could ask him anything about it, the door opened and shut, and I was left on the platform. The students that had come in behind us were fast approaching. Not wanting to hold up the line, I shook the confusion away and put my thumb on the pad, hoping that Brad had once again waited for me.

When the door opened, I was alone.

The magic from within the tower wasn't as strong as usual since nobody had been there to use any for a couple of weeks. It was still enough to soothe the rough edges from my nerves as I found the classroom I had been assigned, which was in the back of the hallways where I had always noticed the magic had been stronger.

A/N: So updating isn't as eady as I imagined while on vacation, but I wanted to get at least one new chapter out before the New Year. If you enjoy it, please comment and vote :)