Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Nora, I could have made breakfast sandwiches if that's what you wanted," Mrs. Renaldi said from behind me.

"You didn't ask," I said between mouthfuls. "This is just as good."

"Okay, then what do you want tomorrow?"

I smiled at Calin. "Cereal."

"I don't—You don't want my cooking?"

Calin laughed and shook his head, taking another bite of his eggs.

"I'm joking," I said, then mumbled, "Sort of."

Mrs. Renaldi swatted the back of my head with the tea towel she was holding, then shuffled back to the counter. "Well, since you're eating without my having to ask, I'll let that go."

"So I can have cereal tomorrow?" I leaned back and looked at her upside-down.

"Not on your life."

I laughed and sat straight again, finishing my breakfast. Turning in my chair, I watched Calin as he continued to eat. After a few minutes, his chewing slowed. Once he swallowed, he turned to look at me, appearing apprehensive even though he smiled.

"Yes?"

"Are you done?" I asked, feeling antsy.

"We don't have to pick up Maible."

"Oh." My shoulders slumped and then I perked back up. "That's awesome! Now, we can stop for coffee."

"I'm not sure you need it," Mrs. Renaldi muttered, and I rolled my eyes in her direction before focusing on Calin again.

"Okay!" he exclaimed, taking one last bite of his breakfast as he stood. "Let's go so we can feed your addiction."

I grabbed my bag from the floor and waved goodbye to Mrs. Renaldi as Calin's hand found the small of my back to guide me out of the kitchen. I pranced as we started for the front door, suddenly filled with happiness.

"Thanks, Calin," I said. "You're an awesome friend."

His hand dropped from my back and suddenly, I felt a tension settle over my shoulders.

It hadn't been there for a while, and I didn't like how it felt. For the past couple of weeks, the awkwardness of avoiding discussing what we were had been absent. Now, as though with that one word and the commencement of school, the pause button had been turned off.

I didn't like it.

After getting to know Calin better, it was time to have a completely different conversation.

*****

I threw my empty coffee cup into the trash when we entered school, and Calin walked me to my locker to discard my winter coat. It was so large, I had to push it in and quickly slam the door before it toppled out to meet the freshly waxed floor.

Calin laughed, and I scowled as I pulled out my phone to check the schedule that had been emailed to me, listing my new classes. I'd briefly looked at it when it arrived on the Friday before, but all I'd taken the time to notice was that I didn't have any classes in the afternoon.

"What do you have first?" Calin asked. "I have art."

I laughed. "Why'd you switch last semester if you want to take it again this semester?"

He shrugged. "I was trying to keep the peace."

"Hmm." I pressed my lips into a thin line. "That worked so well, don't you think?"

"She's gone and you are here," he said. "I think, in the end, it worked out fine."

I lifted my head and met his gaze, feeling my cheeks turn pink. "I have psychology first."