chapter thirteen- wade

Start from the beginning

"I'll take it," Romero says.

Stunned, I stare at him blankly. I expected some prodding, some pushing for more money. This was way too easy, and I don't believe it could be that simple. No one agrees to terms that fast. There should have at least been a few other questions, something more than just agreeing.

"Really?" Mia sputters.

It's the first time she's said anything in this restaurant and realizing she's made a mistake, she covers her mouth with her hand. Her face pales, knowing that calling attention to herself wasn't the best idea.

Romero laughs. It's a full-body laugh, one that rumbles from the back of his throat. "I was wondering when the pretty girl was going to speak up."

Her face goes red.

"You'll have to excuse her," I say smoothly. "See, I guess both of us are just surprised with your... cooperation."

"Not all of us are as hard to please as Thomas Critt. You put a reasonable proposal down, and I see it as being mutually beneficial. That's all there is to it." He folds his hands in front of him, resting his meaty fingers on the table cloth. "You might be new at this, but you're not stupid, Wade. I can see that much. I couldn't care less about Thomas's silly little offer. It doesn't matter in the long run, but what does matter is my interest in him."

My heart starts to pound. "I'm not sure I follow."

"You're familiar with the Bible, right?" he asks.

"I'm Catholic," I confirm.

His voice is smooth like this little speech is rehearsed. It probably is.

Suddenly, this feels like a trap.

"God himself made the devil, and as much as Lucifer wanted to play God, wanted to be better than Him, he was always lesser. That's why he was cast out of heaven. God will always be more powerful than the devil, everyone knows it except Lucifer. Lucifer is naive enough to see himself as untouchable."

"I didn't come here for a theology lesson," I snap, realizing too late that my tone is asking for a beating. Mia's hand finds my knee under the table, warning me to be cautious.

"I suppose not," Romero acknowledges. "Let me spell it out for you— Thomas Critt is Lucifer, and I'm God. He can play God all he wants, but his demons are going to turn against him once they see what a fraud he truly is. It's time to cast him out."

Definitely a trap.

"That's not up for discussion," I say. "The offer I'm making is not against Thomas, but with him. A partnership is much better than whatever it is you're proposing."

"Is it really?" Romero presses. "Because I think Thomas Critt has more than a few screws loose, and no one can trust the devil."

He's not wrong.

"Now, darling," he says, turning to Mia. "Am I right? You know your brother better than anyone else."

The color drains from Mia's face.

He knows. He's known about her all along.

She fumbles for her purse and I'm certain she's holding her breath.

"There's no need to be tense," Romero continues. "If I wanted to kill you, I would've done it by now."

"How?" she whispers. "How did you know?"

"Know thy enemy," he replies. "Pleasure to meet you, Mia Critt. You truly are a sight to see in person. Tell me about Thomas, tell me what I need to know to take him out."