Dark Light [Chapter 9]

Chapter 9

I wish I was strong enough to take the blade and make my blood run red with fire and hate. I wish I could take the pain and ice. But I wish I could be strong enough to let go of the one thing that made me and is looking to destroy me. My love.

I looked away from the showerhead as a thunderous hammering echoed around the large scale bathroom.

"LACEY! LACEY COME OUT!" A male voice shouted.

All I did was roll my eyes and rinse my hair a final time before stepping out and daubing myself in a warm, fluffy towel that was a dark crimson. The knocking on the door continued.

"I'M COMING! I'm coming!" I yelled as I opened the door.

Jesse look bedraggled and pretty pissed off if I was brutally honest.

"What Jess?" I muttered.

He made a grab for my wrist and examined it. Then my other. I sighed and snatched my wrist form his grasped.

"Told you I stopped" I seethed.

"I heard you crying, you were pretty bad" He kept his face plain, as he looked me up and down.

I rolled my eyes again as I walked back in the bathroom leaving the door open. And without a doubt he followed me closing the door behind him.

"I used the razor..." I admitted.

I watched and laughed as his eyes widened.

"Any wider Dude and your eyeballs will fall out" I laughed.

"To shave my legs dumbass" I finished.

His face eased up a little leaving small traces of concern and stone in his eyes. I stopped laughing slowly, letting myself smile at him, for the first time in a long time. He smiled back with no hint of hesitation or worry. Just like it was this morning. Before my whole world fell apart.

"Mind if I get back to my shower?"

I know I'd only just finished but I needed a reason to look away. To stop his gaze from lingering on me. To stop him from trying to get to me.

"Its 11:00 at night" He sighed dropping his gaze to the floor.

"Really?" I was shocked.

"Yeah a good two hours in the shower"

"Sorry" I responded.

But I felt better. Cleaner. More at peace with myself. All I'd really done was let the steaming water wash away the day's events. Washing away everything that didn't seem real. But then the Sun hit my little paradise in my head, and the reality of everything had set in. I was really going to leave my best friend. In my little paradise, I had finally convinced myself that everything was ok. I was staying at Jesse's house to escape my crazy life at home. That it was like any other normal day. That we'd sit and watch a film and chill eating popcorn. That no soldiers are after me. That no evil person on the planet was looking to turn me into an experiment, put me in a cage, or kill me. Or even all three. But it didn't last long.

The water had soothed me. Had made me feel more like a normal teen as opposed to some genetic freak.

"No it's alright, beats having you stink out my room" He smiled.

If only he knew how much more normal it made me feel.

"Oh I don't need to, you do that by yourself" I grinned.

He looked at me shocked. He must've known I was lying, because he always smelt nice. It was at this moment I really took in how he looked. His dark hair was a total mess. More so than usual, almost like he was trying to rip it out. There were red rings around his eyes and cuts on his knuckles. His battle wounds looked more profound. I noticed his lip had started to bleed.