Dark Light [Chapter 4]

Chapter 4

As the needle point enters my skin, I can't feel it burn. What I can feel and have taught myself to concentrate on is the entry of the Morphine. As I feel its sweet essence flood my head and the dizzying blackness take my eyes, my thoughts are thrown into a tail-spin.

Images flash past my face. Dead bodies. Convulsing kids. And my own face. Then again my memories sank in. I could do very little to stop the takeover. But there's time yet. Time for me to overcome the drugs and fight my way out. Time for me to go home. Time for me to find my friend and family. Time for me to stop the evil spread of the torturous man who I called my creator

12 years old and on the run!

I can't believe the plan actually worked. Ten kids managed to out run and outsmart the brave ones. The ones who follow his orders. We're free. At long last. But what will happen now that we're all split up and alone. It was a joint decision that I wasn't comfortable with. There may be trees and buildings and snow and ground to cover us. But to think, what if REALLY only a few of us reached the perimeter fence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's take it back a step or so. This is how I escaped.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all crowded near the door on the night of our plan. As Shaun predicted, the weather would throw us some snow. Heavy snow, but perfect cover. Jack gathered us all together to run through the last details for out escape.

"We crash through the second story window and hit the ground running" He stated.

"The obvious approach" Joe snipped.

The pair of them glared at each other. Jack's hair was short and brown. Military buzz cut, like the rest of us. His black eyes concentrated on Joe's. Joe's hair was blonde and her eyes were a bottle blue that glowed in the dark. I looked at Rhea sat beside me who looked back and gave me a single weak smile. In the silver light her face looked ghostly pale, which made her dark silver eyes glow un-naturally.

All of us were donned in hospital style gowns and trousers of a dull grey. It was thin, and wasn't very suited to crusading in the snow. We all knew the risk, but what we didn't know was, what is beyond the fence.

"Lace? You in there kid?"

I snapped from my wondrous imagination and turned towards the speaker.

"Yeah I'm here Ollie" I smiled as the others bickered.

Oliver was always like a big brother to me (really we were all a big family unit, stuck in the same situation since we were babies. Parentless and in a prison for whatever reason. To fight. Well we were sick of fighting). The caring one, which became evident as he threw his arm around my shoulders and kissed my temple lightly.

"I'll keep you safe baby sis"

I smiled up at him in time to catch his deep green eyes look at me with sweet concern.

"Are we ready for this?" Jack announced.

"Hey I suggested it, 'course I'm ready" I chirped.

The other nine individuals who crowded around the door with me agreed with that.

My ears pricked as I heard footsteps come closer to our door.