To know that Ally’s condition was pretty much incurable was absolute devastation to me.  All I could do was watch from the side lines and hope that everything would be okay, that I would soon have Ally back in my arms. But that was wishful thinking, even for me.

It was downright outrageous that some of us were able to grow up, get married, have children and then die old in the presence of family and friends; die happy whereas the rest of us had their life snatched away from them. It was as if the Universe was giving you a taste of what it’s like for you to breathe in the world, to live, to be happy, but then would snatch it away from under you once you got even remotely comfortable.

To me, it was completely unfair. It was unfair that most of us were able to experience life, whereas some of us; a minority of us died young.

No matter how much I complained or how much I hated it, there was nothing that I could do about it. I, just like any other human facing life on this earth, was completely powerless when it came to the Universe.

Releasing a breath of air, I watched it form in a gust of air due to the cold winter night. Wrapping my arms around myself, I walked home, taking my time, savouring it.

That was one thing that I had picked up over the last few weeks; to savour the moment, because you never know if you’ll live to experience the next.

Luckily for me, my parents seemed to have already retreated up the stairs and to their beds. I was thankful that both my parents had to head into work early tomorrow seeing as my dad was an accountant and my mum a nurse.

Hopefully that would just make it easier for me to execute my plan without being detected.

It was almost pitch black in the kitchen when I attempted to sneak into the house at half ten that night. It was a school night and I was supposed to have been home for dinner, but the thought of it escaped my mind as I spent my time at Benjamin’s house.

I could barely see the outline of the objects in the kitchen due to the few rays of light which illuminated them as they managed to squeeze through the spaces between the blinds which were used as a shield against the light. It obviously wasn’t a very effective one.

Inhaling in slowly, I intended to make my body as flat as possible in order to be able to fit through the kitchen window without alerting either one of my parents what I was up to at this hour.

“Damn it!” I cursed as the window slid down once again crushing my fingers as I tried to save the rest of my body from its evils. And there was also the fact that I was 6’3, basically a giant, but I was willing to overlook that fact.

Gritting my teeth, I manoeuvred my body ever so slightly forward so that now my legs were dangling over the edge of the kitchen counter, whereas my head and chest were poking out the window. Sliding my lower body ever so slightly across the worktop, I was able to plant my foot down on the ground before I salvaged the rest of my body from the perils of the narrow window.

Having just saved myself from one dilemma, I walked into another one. Literally. I walked into a bar stool which wasn’t tucked away under the kitchen island like it usually was.

I cursed myself silently as the stool fell over onto my foot, further injuring me after my escape from the window and at the same time causing a high pitched crash sound to erupt from it as it collided with the ground.

After I picked up the stool and very carefully dare I say, placed it back in its rightful place, I silently tip toed out of the kitchen, but not before making sure that I had closed the window behind me.