[ CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE]

Start from the beginning

For the first time, Astrid wasn't against Nik daggering Kol.

The terrified look in Marcel's eyes as blood dripped down his chin was enough for Astrid to reason with Niklaus' decision.

She could only hope she'd convince Nik to un-dagger Kol soon enough. Kol had made a mistake, a grave mistake, but even a fool could see Kol was jealous of Marcel.

He'd confined his concerns in Astrid, claiming his family loved that "little welp" over him, that he was treated better than Kol had ever been treated, which Astrid had quickly objectified against.

As much as she cared for Kol, she wouldn't let him call Marcel out of petty jealousy.

"Nothing, just thinking." Astrid smiled, shaking her head as she joined arms with Marcel, walking down the crowded pathway.

"Anyways, what are you doing out here?" She questioned with a grin as Marcel shifted.

Licking his lips, Marcel hesitated. "Just fancied going for a walk after training is all." He shrugged.

Astrid heard the stutter in his heart, indicating the lie he'd told, much to Astrid's displeasure.

"Are you sure you weren't seeing someone, hmm? A lover." She teased, nodding at the fading bruise on his collarbone, causing him to shift uncomfortably.

Easing her son with a gentle smile, Astrid's small arm remaining linked through his muscular one as they walked towards the compound.

"You don't need to be shy with me. I'd love for you to find someone. A handsome man like you, I know my baby would make me some beautiful grandchildren." Astrid cooed with a light laugh.

Marcel groaned in embarrassment; shoulders tensed.

"Ma." He moaned, shaking his head as Astrid rolled her eyes.

"What? I just want to see you happy." Astrid reasoned, trying not to snort at the sight of his flushed cheeks.

Sighing, Marcel's arm dropped from hers, struggling to meet her gaze as Astrid frowned at the sudden loss of contact.

His posture was all tense and hunched as he rubbed the back of his neck.

Something was clearly bothering him. "But- What if I don't want that. I don't want children or a wife, I want to be like you, Ma." Marcel pleaded as Astrid shook her head.

She couldn't bear the thought of Marcel being turned into a vampire unless it was a life or death situation. She didn't want him cursed to immortally as they were.

Marcel saw it as an advantage, as did Klaus, but Rebekah and Astrid knew the curse Esther casted upon them eight-hundred years ago was no gift.

"Marcel-" Astrid sighed, tone weary and defeated.

She couldn't recall how many times she had this conversation with him. Each time it resulted in Marcel storming away, refusing to speak to her for several hours, till Klaus scolded him for upsetting his mother.

Surely Marcel realised she only wanted the best for him?

"No, you're not listening to me, Ma. You never listen!" Marcel snapped, shaking his head as Astrid paused. They'd reached the entrance gate of the compound, but she doubted they'd be entering soon.

Eyebrows furrowing, Astrid couldn't mask the hurt on her features. "Marcel you know I only want the best for you-" She insisted firmly causing Marcel to scoff.

"You only want the best for yourself. You want me to have children for yourself. Ma, I want to be like you, I want to be immortal."

He ignored the look in her glassy eyes, filled with unshed tears, her jaw clenched. "You don't want this life, Marcel. You haven't been around as long as us, you do not understand the consequences-"