Chapter 1 - A Rosy Red Maiden

"The Sakura Empire is amazing, isn't it?"

These were the words that Atago mumbled to herself as she walked down one of the streets that lined the central island of the Sakura Empire.  It was a beautiful day, almost like any other that the mainland experienced.  Despite the ongoing war with Azur Lane, the ships of this proud nation still got to enjoy everyday life.  With a quick glance to the left side of the Atago could see different shops lined up with their assortment of goods.  Younger ships were running around in the streets likely playing some game of tag with their classic school uniforms.  Places such as Abukuma's "Torpedo Treats" attracted the eyes of some, including the children who promptly went into that store to probably ask for some treats.  Meanwhile, other places like "The Love Hotline" attracted the occasional older customer.

It was a breath of fresh air relative to the serious tone that the Commander's office maintained, at least without Atago around.  Not that the Commander themselves were stuffy, but the office was something that exuded order.  In the famed room there were deep crimson-colored walls along with wood furnishings that accompanied the color.  The desk itself was placed farther into the room in the center-most area, with a smaller stack of untouched documents to the left and what she imagined to be a larger pile on the right side when she returned.  The Commander was burdened with a lot of work, despite not always being center-stage on the battlefield.

But Atago wasn't going to any of the places her eyes had fallen upon.. her first stop would be to visit the ever-so-costly Akashi.

Atago stepped into the store which was vibrant with the colors of all the different potential spending options.  The shop that became known as "Akashnip" had a mix of almost anything that one could probably want, if they were willing to put some money down.  Ship Outfits? Check.  Skill Books?  Check.  Tech Boxes? Definitely Check.

Along with the supply of goods there was an attempt to make the place feel a little bit more.. comfortable.  Off on one of the walls behind the approaching counter was a photo that seemed to be of a worn-out Commander and Akashi, with the Commander lugging something for the catgirl.. perhaps he helped her from time to time?  Behind the two of them was a crystal cave.. so maybe that's what it was about.

Atago walked up to the counter where she could see two members of the Sakura Empire running their joint business, Akashi and Shigure.  From a distance the two seemed to be muttering about something, but by the time that Atago made it to the counter Shigure had walked out of the shop, leaving Akashi to man the front.

Akashi questioned, "Nya?  Atago, nya?  Shouldn't you be with the Commander, nya?"

Akashi tilted her head as she raised one of her hands to her chin, with the sleeve of her clothing being so long that it masked her hand.

Atago replied, "The Commander said that they wanted something to snack on before they went to a meeting today.  I felt that I should get something for them.. personally, so I told them to wait there while I settled it."

Akashi's face lit up at the prospect of selling something.  She answered, "You came to the right place, nya!  Let me get the list from the back, nya."

After her prideful cheer the small repair ship left the front desk to get something from a staff room whose door was to the right, giving Atago a moment to patiently wait.  With nothing else to do Atago's eyes glanced over what she could see from her position, thanks to the effort that the Commander put into her she had no need for more skill books.  But as her eyes were making the full rotation she noticed a shelf that had the words "Promise Ring".  The Promise Ring.. when can I get one of those?  The girl let out a solemn sigh, imagining how beautiful such a ring would be if she wore it.  Letting her mind wander she recalled the date that remained

"Thinking about marriage, nya?"

Atago almost jumped in place as her thoughts were interrupted by the mischievous repair ship before her.  The heavy cruiser answered, "Ara ara, what could your mind be thinking about?~"

Akashi mentioned, "Didn't you mention that you were going to be busy with Commander a few days ago, nya?"

Atago chuckled to herself with a hand raised over her mouth as she replied, "Commander and I did plenty together, but it's none of your business.~  Curiosity killed the cat, after all."

Akashi remarked, "You're not the only one to look at that ring.. but anyways, nya!"

Akashi let out a light chuckle due to the fact she knew Atago was fooling around, certain people would probably be more serious with their threats.  Akashi spoke, "Time to talk about business, nya.  If you want a snack then you can take a look at this inventory list, nya."

The catgirl slid a list onto the counter in front of Atago, listing all the different options that were available at the shop.  While there were seasonal foods there was a small list for normal food that Atago shrunk down; Oxy-Cola, Torpedo Tempura, Naval Curry, Candy Canes, and Dango.  Akashi suggested, "If you want something that's quick you should get the Torpedo Tempura, nya.  It's right between snack and a meal, nya.~"

Atago smiled as she said, "I'll take two of those then!"

From that declaration Akashi went into her inventory to pull out the two sticks of Torpedo Tempura, hot and ready as if begging to be eaten right that very moment.  She held them with one hand while she used the other to punch numbers into the cashier, "That would be.. 3000 coins."

Atago asked, "Is there a discount?"

Akashi considered, "Discount?  Hm.. you're a reliable customer, nya.  10% off special!"

Atago accepted the terms of the neko by sliding a bag of golden coins onto the counter with a smile.  The Commander would be glad to hear about discounts from someone like Akashi!  And so as the girl left the store she could only imagine her Commander's praise for her good work.

After Atago left the shop, she noticed the two ships Fusou and Yamashiro pass by her on the city streets.  She gave the two ships a wave as she made her way towards the building that contained the Commander's office, giving them a quick greeting before going to fulfill her mission.  They wore their usual black and red yukatas which seemed to scream for some attention, typical for them.  It was only a matter of time until Atago returned to the Commander's office, the Commander pulling their hand quickly from a certain stack of papers when Atago entered the room.

The commander looked at the bag Atago was holding with glimmering eyes and smiled while they observed, "You found something for me?"

Atago nodded as she put the bag of food down in front of the Commander, pulling back the bag to reveal the box that held the two Torpedo Tempuras.  The Commander remarked, "Thanks for helping me with that.  What are you doing?.."

Atago picked up one of the Tempuras and held it in front of the Commander as she said, "Take a bite for your big sister.~"

The Commander stammered, "A-Atago, we're in the office now.  I can eat it on my own."

Atago then started to pout as she made the smallest motions with her hand, the tempura swaying almost like how a puppy's tail would wag.  It was no surprise to her that the hungry Commander's eyes followed it, were they holding back?  Atago replied, "I'm your Secretary, Commander.  So I'll be making sure that you get your nutrition.  Say aah.~"

Not giving the Commander any room for compromise they eventually ate the end of the Torpedo Tempura, with her body nearly sitting on the opposite side of the desk as she put it into their mouth.  Atago giggled from the 'damage' she caused, offering the Commander a napkin for the crumbs around their mouth as the sound of a ship girl got closer to the door.