7. Beaten

"I gotta go, Mr. Stark, I'm sorry but I gotta-" Peter started as he walked backward towards the door.

"In the middle of our talk? Really?" Tony butt in, sounding mildly annoyed.

"Sorry, I just- there's a robbery and-"

"Fine, go ahead, kid, but hurry back."

Peter thanked him and ran off, quickly putting his suit on once in his room and leaping out the window.

He swung through the dimly lit city, nearly forgetting where he was going with the distraction of the beautiful sunset.

"Karen?" He asked after he had stopped on a roof to remember the place.

"Yes, Peter?"

"Where was the robbery again?" He asked, feeling slightly embarrassed.

Directions suddenly appeared in his view, leading him only a few blocks away to a jewelry store, where he saw a group of masked people aiming guns at others inside. He landed right outside and put his hands on his hips.

"Wow, ski masks? Very original, guys," he said while webbing a man up to a wall. They all launched at him except one, who stayed back. It looked like he was protecting some sort of duffel bag.

Peter ignored it, deciding to deal with him after taking the rest down. They were quite easy, most of them were clearly not trained and Peter was only punched once when he turned his head to look back at the other guy.

Once all the robbers were either webbed up or unconscious, Peter turned to the last man, who stared at him with a look of anticipation.

"I knew you'd come, Spider-Man," the man spoke, his voice rough and hoarse as if he'd been smoking for 30 years.

"Listen, man, I don't really have time to listen to your little speech, so..." Peter said before the man could finish. He sent the hero a look of disgust before taking out a strange-looking gun, thicker and clearly more powerful than a normal rifle.

He aimed it at Peter and pulled the trigger. Even though Peter dodged, the effect of the gun worked on him, weakening him temporarily. He fell to the floor, his muscles contracting and relaxing in rhythmic spasms. 

"What the hell?" He breathed out as the strange man walked to him.

"These dampen your powers, Spidey," he declared before lifting his leg and swinging into Peter's chest. Peter felt the air escape his lungs bit by bit as the man kicked and kicked. His throat was being sealed shut in panic as the pressure grew stronger and stronger in his chest and lungs.

"How'd you like that, huh?" The man panted, planting a kick between each word. Peter wheezed, splattering blood all over the floor.

His muscles throbbed more and more with each harsh kick and he could barely inhale a healthy amount of air without being interrupted by another hit or wave of pain.

"Don't mess with me next time... Or you won't be so lucky," he whispered after crouching next to Peter's curled up, bloody body. The man got up to his feet and walked out with the duffel bag hanging over his shoulder.

 Peter pushed himself up and rested his back against a wall. His breaths were fast and short since long, deep breaths would send shocks of pain to his chest. Tears rolled down his face as he squeezed his eyes shut.

I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna die I'm gonna-

"Karen?" He asked, shocked when his voice came out weak and rough.

"Yes, Peter?"

"Can you- can you do a scan?"

"Of course, Peter."

He sat in silence waiting for results.

"You seem to have a concussion, two broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder,  severe blood loss, and your posterior serratus muscle and left lung are starting to bruise. I also found multiple open wounds, would you like me to call Mr. Stark?"

Peter coughed and grasped at his chest in agony.

"Yes," he croaked out.

He waited for what seemed like forever, his body ever so slightly getting used to the constant, sharp pain all over. He turned his head and coughed up more blood, staining the white floor with specks of dark red.

He felt lightheaded and tired and weak. He was powerless, figuratively and literally. He shouldn't have taken his speedy healing for granted.

Through half-closed eyes, a red metal figure stood above him before sinking down to his height and picking him up.

"Mis'er Stark?" He coughed, letting his body go limp in his mentor's arms.

"I'm here, kid, you're fine," he said reassuringly. Peter sighed softly and rested his head on Tony's chest.

* * *

Thankfully, his powers had returned a few hours later, and besides from a few stitches and a sling to keep his arm in place, the rest of his injuries had already healed. 

But, Bruce explained that if Tony had been only a minute later than he had been to pick up the teenager, Peter would've probably gone into shock from the pain. 

Peter explained the situation to Tony and they worked all night, thinking of ways to bring the man and his group of bandits down, once and for all.

*

A/N: Holy guacamole this is short and really bad I hate it

>:( sorry for this shitty chapter I just have a bad case of writer's block :/