The Path to Change

Prolouge

It was a saturday night and I was at the drink table getting another beer for my boyfriend Zach. The line was semi long so I stood there patiently listening to the music and going off in my own world. This was an okay song, but I preferred music that was a little bit harder. I mean I liked mostly all music, except for stuff like opera, I mean seriously, who invented that and why?! I suddenly came back when my shirt became wet. I turned around and saw a boy probably around nineteen bending down to pick up a red cup from the floor. When he stood up he apologized and offered to help me clean up my shirt. I was about to respond when I heard a Zach's voice behind me.

"Hey babe I came to see what was taking so long. You've been gone for like ten minu-," He stopped mid-sentence and then continued with "wait who the hell is this?"

"I don't know, actually I just met him." I responded, oh god I hope he wouldn't do anything stupid. He was the type of person that was extremely jealous.

"Well then mystery boy, I'm gonna warn you now, she's taken so I don't want you talking to her got it?" Zach said turning to the kid who was about his height.

"I was just offering her some help, I tripped and got spilt my beer on her." The kid replied.

"What the hell did you just say?" Oh god, Zach was definitely mad. Before the kid could repeat himself Zach took a swing and landed his fist square in the jaw of this kid. At first the kid looked shocked but soon after he punched back hitting Zach in his nose. Before you knew it there was a huge crowd forming and the fight began. The punches had some real force behind them, and the other kid seemed to be loosing. It was time I stepped in to stop the fight. I did my best and eventually with help from a couple other kids broke it up. I then looked at Zach and walked out. He had promised this wouldn't happen anymore and yet it happened again, like I said he was a highly jealous person and seemed to want to fight everyone. I was seriously getting sick of it. I was about a hundred yards from the party when I heard him calling my name. I stopped and turned around watching him wobble towards me, he was really drunk and it was obvious.

"Don't you ever walk away from me like that again understood?" He told me angrily slurring his words a bit.

"Excuse me, who the fuck do you think you are?" I said staring at him starting to get even more pissed.

"You heard me. I told you to never-" I suddenly cut him off by slapping him in the face. I don't know who he thought he was telling me what I was and wasn't allowed to do. Instead of looking shocked he slapped me about three times harder. It stung and my eyes started to water. I turned and started walking away.

"What ever, I don't need you! You'll never be able to find someone as good as me, but you can go ahead and try! I could have any girl I wanted and your lucky I chose you, but you know what? I think I'm gonna go get another girl right now." He yelled angrily walking back towards the party.

I shut off my phone not wanting anyone to contact me and then started walking back to the small house I lived in. After about twenty minutes I finally made it there. I tried to open the door and found it locked. They locked it every night at ten sharp, and I had been in bed at eight because I'd wanted to gain a little bit of sleep before going out. I went around the back and opened up my window quietly climbing in. I got changed into pajama pants and a tank top and then laid down in my bed and cried. He was right, no one wanted me, not even my mom thats why I lived here, with foster parents.

Well I guess I should tell you a little about myself shouldn't I? My name is Keyra and I'm fifteen. I'm slender built and have brown hair with bright blue eyes. I now live a relatively small town where about maybe eighty kids weren't popular. I was one of those eighty people. If you had moved here before you entered middle school, you had a very slim chance of being popular, unless you knew someone prior to moving here. I had neither. I was an only child and had been moved around from home to home, until I came here this year. It was a little less than two weeks into this school year and I had only one other friend. I had known and been dating Zach prior to moving here, and even then it wasn't the best idea, but I don't know, he's the only one that hasn't walked out on me. Yet at least, so I guess because of that I just kind of stayed with him.

I don't know at what point in my crying I fell asleep, but I do know that I had a major headache from last night. The sunlight absolutely killed as it shown in brightly through my bedroom window. I opened my door and walked out to the kitchen.

"You're finally up! Breakfast's over in fifteen so if your hungry eat now or wait till lunch." My foster mom of the moment Laura said.

Her husband Steven looked up at me grumbled something and then went back to reading his newspaper. I really didn't like the guy, for some reason I felt very uncomfortable around him but I had no idea why. I walked to the fridge and took out a slice of left over pizza from last night. For the past two nights we'd had pizza. I went over to the table and sat down with my slice. This time it was pepperoni.

"What happened to your face?" Laura asked looking at me her face slightly horrified.

For a minute I was confused to I answered with "I have no idea what your talking about."

"There is a mark on your face, and its huge!" She said still staring at me.

"Oh that." I said now remembering, "Uhm...it's probably from when I uh..fell this morning." I said not sounding very convincing.

I kept my face hard and she didn't press any further. The room was awkwardly silent for what felt like an eternity but eventually Laura broke the silence. "Well if thats all, I'm going to head for work. I'll call before I come home to ask if theres anything we need."

After she left I finished my breakfast headed back to my room to unpack a little bit more. Yes I've been here a little less than two months, but for the first two weeks they kept telling me to leave my stuff packed because they were going to paint my room. It took them about another three weeks to start and then finish it, and then on top of that they still had to get me a dresser. Seriously what kind of foster parents allow a kid to come into their home while they are still unprepared? All my clothes were already in my drawers and now I was unpacking the other box that I had brought here. It was just little nicknacks and things I had picked up from the towns I'd stayed in. Finally I took a step back to admire the room. It was medium sized with a double bed on one wall, and a desk you could tell had been shortened so it looked more like a small vanity. This was placed right beside the door. The walls were a deep red and the comforter was black and white checked. Something I had picked out on my own. When I was finished admiring the room I walked out to the living room and sat down to watch some t.v. with Steven. After a while Laura finally came home with supper, which for the third night in a row was pizza. How much pizza could one person take before they went nuts? I shrugged it off ate, and then watched some more t.v. with the "family". After having a good look I headed to bed but found that I had a hard time sleeping.

____________________________________________________________________________________

So watcha think? Sorry that its a boring chapter, but like they say it'll get better, and this will I promise. Comment and rate and other stuff, cuz I really want your opinion.