Chapter 9: Mandy's Party

Začít od začátku

"Have you spoken to Christopher?" I asked, my voice trembling if what she might say or think of me asking. So I softly sighed.

She placed her book down on her lap so she could look at me and she faced forward giving me intense eye contact.

"No, usually when he becomes distant I prefer we just let me be. And let him come to us when he's feeling up to it. Trust me...he's done worse than what happened last night." She explained, as if she was having a heart-to-heart conversation.

I could not accept that or let it go. I just can't be doing such things like this. And I hated how I watched him nearly kill Patrick no matter how much I was crying and begging him to stop. And that was another side to my stepbrother.

"It's been worse?" I gasped in shock.

"Dear, he's always had issues with his temper. It started after...well after his father died when he was twelve." Her voice broke when she mentioned Christopher's father, and I imagine what a kind of man he was.

"You don't need to talk about him if it's too painful."

She shook her head. "No, I need to talk about him sometimes because it makes me accept it. He was the love of my life. And I used to love being by his side every moment. And when I told him I was pregnant he was so happy and he wanted me to be his only. And he came up with future plans to where to raise Chris. And he was so excited for it. As I knew from the start I loved him." Her story melted my heart for a moment which I put a sly smile on.

"Was your marriage everything you thought it would be when you married him?" I asked, just feeling happy about everything.

I was asking after Patrick told me that their marriage wasn't everything. And I just thought of how crazy it all was if it wasn't perfect. But in every marriage and relationship there is something. There are obstacles. And rocks and mountains to climb. That's what mom told me back when she and dad first started fighting. But it was all about dad's control in my opinion. And that's why I hope Colleen and dad don't face anything like what mom and dad went through. Divorces are expensive and it's a long and tiring process. But my mom filed after she moved out. And she signed right away and they had lawyers but they didn't face each other in court because they couldn't get along.

"Yes, it was. It was a perfect marriage. Until the day he died. And that's when Christopher was angry and sad all the time. He kept getting expelled. So I put him in therapy and counseling for his anger management issues." She told me, and I can see none of it helped him.

I can only picture Christopher as a young child and with those gray eyes that I do love a lot. What was he like when he was a kid? Was he anything like he is now? And I honestly just think of being with him. No matter how resentful I feel towards him after last night. And it just doesn't make sense how he's the one that is angry when he was the one who attacked Patrick just for kissing me. And I asked him to kiss me. So Christopher had no right to do what he did. And I just thought of nothing but how insane everything is. And I just thought of how I want to apologize but it's hard to when I didn't do anything.

"But it wasn't your fault." I pointed out.

"It was definitely something that happened to the both of us. We both went through so much. And Christopher doesn't like change. He never has. And I can see what moving here has caused." She said.

I had looked down at my book and even though reading looked interesting I just sighed unable to with so much on my mind.

Colleen suddenly changed the subject, and her eyes were definitely dazing to something else.