We (Finally) Achieve Awesome

ANNABETH

Annabeth couldn't quite wrap her head around the splendid architecture.

She loved the way the building curved slightly at the top. She loved the way the arches in the lobby curved. She loved the way the windows were aligned.

As Annabeth and her friends climbed the staircase, her mind raked in more things about the design. The way the metal beams arched above them- ingenious!

Jason closed his hand around the doorknob of the first door on the left they found. He smiled at them. "Want to guess whose this is?"

"Leo." Piper volunteered.

"Frank." Jason said. He twisted the knob.

***

"It's Hazel's." Leo said.

The room was spacious and normal-shaped. A queen-sized bed lay against the wall. A wooden door next to a window presumably led to the bathroom. One of those ergonomically designed wheelie chairs was pushed in neatly into the desk space. The desk itself was wooden and came stocked with stationery. There was a drawing desk, tilted at an angle and a matching high chair. But that wasn't the most outstanding feature of the room. The wall decorations were. Framed drawings, paintings, charcoal sketches and crayon outlines hung on the cream colored walls. All of them had a distinct style-Hazel's. Annabeth had seen some of Hazel's artwork before, but she was still amazed.

"Hazel...this...this is really good!" Jason exclaimed.

"Yeah. How come you never told?" questioned Piper. "I mean, you did tell us that you liked drawing, but you forgot to say that you freaking rocked!"

Hazel was staring around her room, open mouthed. Her gold eyes were wide with disbelief and shock.

"I-I don't...How did these get here?" Hazel stammered. "They're in the ship!"

Annabeth turned to the nearest framed artwork. It was a simple watercolor of a Mardi Gras carnival, but the masterful strokes and vibrant colors brought the scene to life.

"Maybe the person who designed this place." she said.

"Is there a god of interior design?" Percy asked.

Annabeth gave Percy a look.

"Nope. Didn't think so."

***

The opposite room belonged to Frank.

The bed was already made neatly, with tight corners. A mirror was fixed above a wooden chest of drawers. Two of the walls were painted olive green. One whole section was dedicated to Frank Zhang's achievements. His award certificates were displayed neatly next to a trophy case brimming with shiny trophies. A row of medals hung, gleaming in the light.

"Wow. Spelling bee awards? Nice, man." Leo said. "Really making the most out of your non-dyslexic condition."

Frank blushed.

"Well, you get dyslexia, he gets lactose intolerance. You get ice cream, he gets spelling awards. Deal with it." Piper said.

"The Mural Crown looks great hanging here! Maybe your other medal, the one you got for..." Hazel launched into an inventory of Frank's medals, talking about where they should go.

Annabeth was impressed. Frank Zhang didn't seem much like the spelling bee type, but she'd learned long ago not to judge a book by it's cover.

***

Percy's room was right next door to Frank's.

The bed was covered with a blue comforter. A mini fridge had been placed next to it. The bedside table had a blue lamp and a heaping stack of manga books on it. The wall behind Percy's bed was covered with photos, posters and signs. There was also a neon blue blinking arrow among them. Percy's surfboard and skateboard were propped up against the wall.