Hes up

"he hasn't gotten any better?" Brendon asked from the door way. Frank shook his head. "damn. how long has it been? a month?"

"two and a half." Frank whispered. Brendon sighed.

"are you planning on leaving this room at all?" he asked. Frank shook his head. "do you want me go bring food?" he tried. Frank shook his head again. "what about coffee?" he tried again. Frank thought for a second and nodded. "mkay, i'll be right back. don't like, pull a romeo or something." he joked. Frank didn't laugh. he didn't even budge. Brendon cleared his throat. "right sorry, okay uH coffEe. riGht."

"Brendon hasn't changed much." Frank told Gerard once Brendon left. Frank perked up. "oh i do have good news though!" he smiled. "the nurse, Lindsey, said that you are recovering. it's the small stuff like pupil dilation. but it's recovery none the less. they're going to do more tests today to see if there are any more improvements. i meant to tell you this last week when they did the tests but i guess i forgot. or maybe i already told you. i don't know. i do know one thing though." he leaned over and kissed Gerards forehead. "i love you"

-

"that's...new" Lindsey mused.

"what is?" Frank asked putting his coffee down.

"this." she said, poking Gerard again. his hand twitched. she poked his other arm. nothing. she went back to the right arm and poked. his hand twitched. she clicked her tongue and jotted down some notes. "huh. he's fast." she turned to Frank. "we need to do some CT and EEG scans to see the change in his brain activity."

"he moved?" he asked in disbelief.

"he twitched. not really moved but i mean yea, it is a change in brain activity that we need to measure." she responded.

"do it again." Frank demanded and pointed at his arm. "please." Lindsey sighed and poked his arm. his hand twitched again. then Frank poked him.

"Frank, i know this is a big thing but i don't want you exhausting him." she took his hand and placed it on the mattress next to Gerards.

"but he moved Lindsey! this is huge!" he began to tear up. "he's coming back."

Lindsey sighed. "Frank. i'm going to tell you this now. the chances of his coming back are low. very low. i don't know how he survived a bullet to the head like that but he did. if he does end up coming back, he won't be the same." Frank looked at Lindsey. "he probably won't be all there. he's going to be different. he may not even remember who you are. he may not even remember who he is. he may think he's someone else. it's impossible to tell how he'd come out but i can tell you for a fact, he isn't going to be the Gerard you remember." she said holding Franks hands.

"no but he has to be. he can't just change! can he?" Frank asked. Lindsey nodded.

"i've got the booze!" Brendon hollered, walking in. he took in the sight ahead of him. "bad timing?" both Frank and Lindsey nodded. "okay i'm sorry. i'll go."

Lindsey looked over at Frank. "booze?"

"don't- don't even ask," Frank shook his head.

-

"i mean... he is getting better," Lindsey told no one in particular.

Bert scowled, "it's been over four months now. i'd fucking hope he's getting better"

"just because it's been four months doesn't mean he needs to recover." Lindsey scoffed. "he could just...oh i don't know...die?" she shrugged, turning away.

Bert grabbed her arm. "now you listen here-"

Frank stopped walking and watched the scene unfold in front of him. "i fucking leave for two minutes and this is what i come back to? can i not drink this shitty brown water in peace? for once?" he whined.

"I was just leaving,"Bert hissed, letting her go.

Frank put his coffee down on the counter and walked over to Lindsey. "Bert, I need you to breathe okay? think rationally. don't hurt her out of anger. its unneeded," he tried to reason.

Bert sighed and left the room. Frank shook his head and made sure Lindsey was okay. the heart monitor spiked. they both looked over at Gerard laying in the bed. his eyes were open.

"Gerard!" Frank ran over to the lump in the bed. he didn't as much as twitch. "Gerard?" he asked.

no response.

"Gee, baby, look at me please," he pleaded and as if he'd heard the desperation in Franks broken voice, his eyes inched over to look at Frank. Frank choked. "hi baby," he smiled, vision blurring with tears. Gerard didn't move. he didn't smile. confusion was present in his eyes.

"Frank?" the heart monitor spiked again. Lindsey was doing her usual analytics. "I-" his eyes slowly moved around the room. "where am I?"

"Gee, honey, I will explain all that later, I just need you to look at me." Gerards eyes moved back to meet Franks. Frank grabbed Gerards hand. no reaction. "do you not feel that?" Frank asked, now holding Gerard with both hands.

Gerard froze. "I can't move... no I- no I don't feel- what are you doing Frank?" the monitor beeped louder. "Frank why can't I move?" it beeped a bit faster. "Frank why can't I feel you?" and a bit faster. "Frank!" his eyes teared up and the monitor beeped even faster. "Frank I can't feel- I can't feel you! I can't feel anything! wh-why? what happened?" both Frank and Gerard broke down into sobbing messes. then Gerard stopped abruptly. he took a deep breath in and his eyes shifted back to Frank. "Frank. I demand you tell me where I am."

Frank looked up and wiped his eyes. "wh-what?"

"don't play dumb with me boy. I demand you tell me where I am."