chapter 4: hurt

pov: atlas
i walked into the cafeteria with my schoolbag over my shoulder. i'd be lying if i said i was anxious. im a naturally social person, so by this time of the day, i was friends with at least one person at each table.

'hey atlas! over here!' i hear ximena over at me. she was sitting at a table with zachary and talissa. i walk over there, very joyfully. 'hey girls, hey babe!' i say to them. we all start socializing.

over time, i realize that zach and talissa were into their own conversation, so i just talked seperately to ximena. furthermore, i noticed that talissa was giggling and smiling, almost like they were flirting, but i honestly thought nothing of it. it kept escalating. they were starting to get touchy, and i was having enough of it. i told ximena about it and how it made me feel uncomfortable. she said we should sit with those boys we were talking to earlier. she has always been apart of their friend group, so it wasn't much of a problem.

we start to stand up. 'where are you guys going?' talissa questions us. 'oh were just gonna catch up with some other friends, do you guys wanna come?' i ask. the two look at eachother. 'no, we're good here.' zach says.

we make our way over to the table with the boys. i sit in front of alvaro and next to alejandro, with ximena on the other side of me. 'hey pendeja!' alvaro says as me and ximena greet the boys. we all socialize and eventually exchange numbers. we keep talking until we hear an announcement.

'hey everybody! we just came to inform you that homecoming is coming up soon. tickets will be sold here today through next friday! also, please recommend a nominee for king and queen!' we all look over at eachother, excited.

we go up to the table to pay. 'oh shit, i left my wallet at home.' i announce. 'oh dont worry about it, i got you.' alejandro says, whipping out his wallet from out of his pocket.' wait, really? thats so nice.' i say. 'yea, no problem.' he responds. 'thanks! i'll pay you back tomorrow.' i say. 'no, dont worry about it princesa.' he says back. i blush a little.

we sit back down. i take out my turkey sandwich that my mom made for me and took a bite. i felt ximena tap my shoulder. she was pointing over at zach and talissa. they were really close. like really close. i felt so uncomfortable so i just looked away. they were really touchy. wait, hes never like that with me. a lot of thoughts cross my mind. i try to put it aside and finish my lunch.

'are you okay?' ximena asks, simultaneously stuffing her face with a tuna wrap. 'i just, i feel like theres something going on with them. i mean look at the way they look at eachother. its obvious.' i confess. 'i think you should tell him that you feel like its wrong. and if he disagrees, then like i said earlier, fuck him.' she says.' thank you for that, xi.' i say, hugging her.

after a little while longer, i find myself staring at talissa and zach. i was angry. i got out of my trance when i heard alejandro ask 'you alright atlas?' 'yea, what he said.' i heard alvaro say. i sit there for a second, trying not to cry. 'atlas, whats going on?' mattia from the other side of the table asks. 'her boyfriend and bestfriend are getting comfortable at that table over there.' ximena says for me, pointing at the table. ' you need me to fight anyone?' kairi says. 'kairi, what damage would your small self do?' everyone shares a laugh. 'atlas you cannot be one to talk, youre literally 5 feet.' he says. everyone laughs. i spent the rest of lunch in a happy place.

a few long periods later and i have last period with alejandro, alvaro, ximena, and zach. there were no assigned seats in this class, so we all just sat at a table with five desks. we all start socializing while completing our work.

'i saw you left me to sit with a bunch of boys. whats up with that?' zach starts. 'oh it's nothing, theyre just friends.' 'stop fucking lying to me and tell me why you actually left to sit with them!' he yells, catching the attention of everyone at the table.

'fine! you want the answer youre so badly desperate for?' i yell back. 'just tell me!' he says. 'maybe if you and talissa werent flirting with eachother, right in front of me for the record, we wouldnt be having this conversation!' i respond.

'oh so now this is about me? youre the one behaving like a little slut, wearing a bunch of revealing clothes and hanging with other boys when im right here, and i keep asking for you to wear stuff thats more appropriate for you! and you act like im the problem here, when youre the one whoring around and disrespecting me!' he says. i am absolutely pissed at this point.

'nonono! you have this ALL wrong. im not the one going onto other girls instagram page and putting heart eyes emojis on their posts, and dming them, continuously flirting, asking them to meet up and LYING about the fact that you have a girlfriend! and lets not even get STARTED on the fact that you constantly body shame me! telling me that my stomach isnt flat enough for me to wear crop tops, or that im too flat-chested to pull off tight dresses! and lets also not get started on how you gave me a whole LECTURE when i showed up to our date without makeup! would you like for me to go on?!' i say, not even thinking twice. everyone was shocked, including myself.

'atlas, hes not worth it, remember what i said?' ximena said, trying to keep things calm and steady. 'shut the actual fuck up ximena! all you have done is get in the way of me and atlas and turn her against me!' he shouts

'dont talk to her like that!' i say, trying not to cry. 'just calm down guys.' alejandro says, trying to keep the peace. 'you truly do not deserve atlas.' alvaro joins in. 'you are such an actual asshole.' by this point, the whole class witnessed this.

'just leave if thats what you want!' i say. 'gladly! i wish i never started dating you!' he says, standing up and punching my desk, making me jump. a tear rolled down my face. 'dude stop! you can see her crying!' alejandro yells. 'yunno, your dad is lucky he isnt alive to put up with your bullshit. he says, making his way to the empty table.

i immediately start crying, and alejandro rushes to my rescue and kneels down next to me, hugging me, allowing me to cry onto his shoulder. i fell into his arms. i've never felt more hurt. i felt ximena rub my back, and alvaro hold my hand.