Chapter 3

This was all so much to take in. All these years I'd been thinking that all my family was gone. But, somewhere in the world I have a brother or sister that I've never met.

"Charlotte? Are you okay?" Stacy asked. She looked genuinely concerned, so instead of snapping at her, I just nodded my head. Stacy got out of her seat and gave me a hug. 

"Is it a boy or a girl?" I asked quietly.

"Boy. He just turned 14. He lives in Alberta, with his adopted family. They agreed to let him meet you, if you want." She said calmly.

"Yes." I said way too quickly. "I mean, yes. Yes, I do want to meet him. When and where?" I asked.

"Well, we don't know the exact date yet, but I can contact the family and see what works best for them. How does that sound?" She asked. She looked in my eyes and I could tell she was happy for me. Maybe my aunt isn't such a witch after all.

"It sounds fine." I yawned. Man, I was tired. I had to work early tomorrow, and I wanted to get to bed early. I still had to cook dinner, do laundry and clean the house. Ugg, I'm really not in the mood for this. 

"Alright sweetie, well if you need me you know I'm always here. I'm going to head out now, but I call you later to check up on you." She smiled and walked towards the door. I waved at her and she let her self out. I sat in the chair for a moment, then slowly got up and walked into my bedroom. I turned off the lights, and fell into my bed. I'll only stay a few minutes. I thought to myself. I opened my eyes for a moment, then screamed my lungs out. In the corner of my room, there stood a girl about 9 or 10 years old in a torn up dress. Half her head was caved in, and her hair was dripping with blood. I screamed. 

"Don't be afraid." She whispered. She slowly started to walk towards me. I looked all around my room, searching for a weapon. When I couldn't find one, I bolted to the door.

"No." She said. She flicked her wrist, and the door locked. I started to panic. She was walking towards me. I freaked out, and started kick and punching the door. The little girl reached out and touched me. Her fingers were painfully cold. It felt like a knife cutting through my stomach. I doubled over and started crying and screaming louder. She frowned, not seeming to know what was going on. She reached out again. No, no she wasn't about to do that to me again.

"NO! DON'T TOUCH ME! LEAVE ME ALONE!" I screamed. The little girl looked shocked and sad for a minute, then the sadness turned into anger. 

"What did you just say to me?" She hissed. Oh, crap. I just pissed off a ghost. I took a deep breath and spoke again.

"I said, stay away from me." I was shaking, but my voice sounded strong. She narrowed her eyes at me. The she let out a piecing scream, one that was so loud and unbearable that I had to cover my ears. She started to yell.

"You're going to regret that." She smiled.  Her voice was soft, but had a strange edge to it.God, this ghost was freaky. I opened my mouth to speak again, but she had disappeared. 

What the hell was that? I must be seeing things. Crazy Charlotte.. always making things seem bigger than they are. Even though I had convinced myself I was delusional, I packed a small bag and booked reservations at the closest motel I could afford. Just on the off chance that there was a half dead little girl with disappearing skills in my house. You could never be too safe, right?