PROLOGUE

Italics= Rue's voiceover

What can I say about Athena Martinez?All around good kid, not a completely shit human being

Her grandparents immigrated to the states from Cuba just before Castro came to power. Grandma came through way of New York, while her grandpa came through Florida. Hardcore Catholics.

Athena's mom, Valentina, is a major badass. Had to start working two jobs to support her and her daughters after Athena's dad left them when we were in sixth grade.

I remember our teacher pulling Athena out of class, after she punched Nate Jacobs in the face for saying something cruel about her mom.

No matter how much Mrs. Kapernick tried to calm her down, I can still hear Athena's angry words to this day.

"That cabronito said that it's no wonder that my dad ran off with another woman, because my mom is too much of a bitch to hang around for too long."

Of course, due to Nate's family being wealthy, no one gave a shit about what he'd said about her mom or that he punched Athena too.

Athena Martinez was suspended for three days, while Nate Jacobs got a slap on the wrist an a 'firm talking to'.

What a load of bullshit.

Ever since then, Athena Mariana Calypso Garcia Martinez doesn't take any shit from anyone. It's not like she has to, Athena is a fucking badass.

That girl is honestly a genius. Like a poor, Cuban, girl version of Elon Musk.

God help us all if she goes vengeful and decides to kill us all, because she could definitely do it in a super clever and evil genius-y kind of way.

Not gonna lie, I high key have her as my Woman Crush Wednesday, but every single day of the week.

Athena's got a mountain range of issues and honey this is just the tip of that Rocky Mountain Catastrophe. So sit your ass down and grab yourself some snacks, because we're about to get into this shit.