Mountainous Change

Start from the beginning

Rebecca jumped and clumsily turned around. Stood outside also wearing skiing gear was Stacey – one of her friends that would visit every few months.

"When did you get here?" Rebecca asked.

"About half an hour ago," Stacey replied. "I asked for you and was told to come out this way. Didn't think I'd find you looking in a cabin while someone was out."

Rebecca stepped out from the cabin.

"I'm not being nosy about the guests," she said as she closed the door. "I don't even have my keys. Someone was trying to rob the place. I just put the stuff that was taken back inside."

"Opportunists, eh? Good thing you stopped them."

"Let me just call in, then we can get to some fun on the slopes."

She unzipped one of the pockets on her coat, pulled her phone out from it, and put a call in for the patrol to come to the cabin to lock it. She also asked that they check who the cabin was currently rented out to so that she could talk to them when they were back.

Phone away, she indicated to Stacey to start moving.

"Should be a good month," Stacey said. "I always love coming here. Get away from work and feel the cooling air of the mountain."

"How are things over there? Anything happen?"

"Everything's fine and orderly. Nothing bad ever seems to happen whenever I'm on shift, so I can't get to any action."

"You really should change to something more active," Rebecca laughed as they prepared to seat themselves on a chair. "You seem to expect the action to come rather than chase after it."

"I'd lose my job if I chased after some action," Stacey said lightly. "Besides, the money from it is worth the boredom. I chase the action by coming here."

One of the chairs scooped them up, lifting them from the ground and upward toward the peak of the mountain.

Rebecca looked back toward the cabin. "I should have looked in one of those boxes, though."

"I though you weren't being nosy?" Stacey asked.

"I wasn't. I'm just curious as to why someone would have a load of boxes that looked the same within one of the cabins."

"Are you sure it isn't someone orderly and boring who rented the cabin out?"

"If they were orderly and boring, they wouldn't be coming here," Rebecca said with a grin. "Although, I guess there's the hot tub and pool, so maybe you're right."

"Have you ever thought of taking a break? I think you might be cracking up."

"I am taking a break."

"A proper one. Away from here. We could swap jobs if you want?" Stacey then teased.

"I'd probably take up guard and a riot would start. You're probably the reason you find it boring. The inmates know to avoid causing trouble when you're on duty."

Stacey shrugged. "That could be it," she said in mock wonderment. "Why have I never thought of that?"

The smile she had held back then split across her face. Both laughed.

"Seriously, though," Rebecca stated, "move to a new prison if they let you. Try to keep the same amount of money you earn and prove how good of a guard you are at the new place. You never know, it might score you a bonus."

"I could do that, but I want to move on from prison duty."

The chairlift had now reached the peak of the mountain. They hopped out of it, side-stepping away from it.