Craving Christmas

Start from the beginning

"She's glowing," said Katy, who was about my height. She had a mane of curly, red hair and a face full of freckles.

"Thanks, so do you," I said. "How are things with both of you? How's University of Georgia?"

"Ahh-mazing," Katy said. "We both rushed Phi Delta and got in."

"Oh," I said. "Nice. Congratulations."

"How about you? Did you pledge at UM?"

Funny. For half of high school, I assumed I'd join a sorority once I got to college. Life had taken a different turn after the crash. Things that used to be important suddenly weren't. "No. I didn't. I'm on the school paper, though."

"Oh," they both said, their faces pinched.

"Fun," Lucy said, sounding as if she'd swallowed something sour.

"Where's Diana?" Katy asked. "You two are usually inseparable."

"Or maybe she's been replaced by someone else? She must be jealous," Lucy looked over my shoulder, probably at Rafa, and snickered.

A vague memory of Katy spreading rumors freshman year about how Diana and I were lesbians came to mind and I winced. Lucy also had the biggest crush on my brother, I recalled, but was pissed when he'd asked another girl to the prom that year. It had been a whole dramatic showdown at school, and then a week later, he was dead.

I didn't need or want any of these memories. This was an awful idea, talking to them. Maybe coming to St. Augustine was an all-around bad plan.

"Diana's at home with her folks. They're having a big family dinner," I said. "And yeah, that's my boyfriend. Rafael."

"Rafael," Lucy said in a low voice. "How... exotic."

I reared back. Did she just use the word exotic to describe my Cuban boyfriend? "What?"

"Nothing," she said brightly. "That's nice you met someone so quickly. When's the wedding?"

"What can I say? I'm lucky. He's a great guy. Makes me so happy."

"Ooh, someone's in love. Where's he from? Is he on the paper, too? Or in a frat? What's his story?" Katy asked.

"We met in class. He's from Miami." I grinned. The idea of Rafa being in a frat was hilarious. Between his classes and his two part-time jobs, he barely had time for me. Something I disliked, but understood. Rafa had ambition, something that most of the rich kids I'd grown up with lacked.

Katy's eyebrows shot up. "Well, it's obvious he's not from here. What does your dad think of him? I can't imagine that Edward Lavoie, the conservative newspaper owner, was thrilled to meet his daughter's boyfriend from Miami."

I shot her a simpering look. "My father adores him."

Okay, that wasn't true at all. In fact, Dad had been weird about Rafa ever since we'd arrived yesterday. It was as if he had a perpetual grimace on his face whenever Rafa was in the room.

But I wouldn't tell Katy that. I'd assumed it was because Dad was always moody around the holidays. Or had been since my mom and brother died.

Katy flipped her hair behind her shoulders. She'd always had the best hair, never frizzy and always perfectly straight. "Oh. Well, great. He is super hot. I'll give you that."

"Uh, thanks?" There was no denying that Rafael was beautiful. In the bright light of this candy shop, his tall frame, his bronze skin, and glossy black hair stood out. I secretly thought he looked like a model in his leather jacket, white T-shirt, jeans and black Converse.