Craving Christmas

Start from the beginning

I stood on the sidewalk and watched him easily maneuver my dad's big sedan into the space. Rafa climbed out of the car and I slipped my arm through his.

"You looked like you belonged behind the wheel of that BMW."

He laughed softly. "Babe, someday, I'll drive a car that's worth five times that. You'll see."

By then, we were at the door of Sugar Rush, and when Rafa held it open for me, a blast of caramel-scented air came at us full force. I let out a squeal. The entire shop was done up in red and silver holiday decorations, just as it had been for every Christmas since I was a child.

"This is my favorite thing in the entire world," I said. The place was packed, and we found our way to the end of the long line. He raised one dark eyebrow.

"Okay, my second favorite."

He kissed my temple. "I'm learning new things about you every day. But isn't frozen hot cocoa just, like, a milkshake?"

I pinched his stomach. Well, pinched wasn't the right word, since he only had muscle on his midsection. So my pinch was more like a grope. "No. Silly. It's totally different."

"Can you explain the difference?" He slung his arm around my shoulder.

"Not really, but..." my voice trailed off as my eyes landed on a table in the corner. The two girls sitting there were waving frantically at me. I groaned silently. Katy and Lucy. Ugh. Not that I was trying to avoid people from high school. It's just that I'd worked hard to put my teenage years behind me.

I actually had only one close friend from high school — Diana. That was enough.

These two — Katy and Lucy — had been more like frenemies. I'd actually forgotten about their existence until this very moment. Standing here, seeing their effortlessly pretty faces, the past came rushing back. The petty bitchiness, the snide comments in gym class, the simpering pity when my mom and brother were killed in a car crash.

Gah, I hadn't wanted to dredge up any of this during Rafa's visit.

"You know those girls?" Rafa asked.

I gave them a tepid wave across the crowded room. "Yeah, we went to high school together."

As soon as I got to the University of Miami, I'd carved out a new life. A new identity, really. I was assistant editor of the school paper, improved my Spanish, and was learning about Latin American politics through various campus clubs.

And had fallen in love.

Rafa tugged on my ponytail. "Why don't you go say hi? I'll stay in line and get our milkshakes."

I turned to him, staring into his beautiful, dark eyes. Should I tell him I'd rather stay by his side? Something about being so physically close to him made me feel protected. A feeling I hadn't had in years. No, I needed to show Rafa that I was strong and social. Even though I knew we were soul mates, our relationship was pretty new. I didn't want to turn him off by being needy or clingy.

"Thanks. I'll do that. And it's frozen hot chocolate. Not a milkshake." I booped his nose with my finger.

I wound my way around at least ten packed tables until I got to where Katy and Lucy were sitting. They yelped and stood to hug me, as if they'd missed me. A little shocking, since we weren't at all close in high school. But maybe this was what people in college did during winter break — put old grudges and past annoyances aside. Holiday spirit and all that.

Cool, cool.

"How are you? Justine, you look incredible," said Lucy. She was a tall brunette, with amber eyes and porcelain skin.