Rhan crossed his arms and shook. "Tell her, Pa. I shot and skinned me a rabbit just yesterday. No boy can do that."

"True as winter," He laughed, "made a great stew too."

"Whose side are you on anyway?" Meredith leaned further, looking into Noah's eyes, smelling of cinnamon and apples. Her hair draped to one side, long as a horses tail while her face twinkled with the snow outside. Noah loved that look, that sweet smile, and those half-mooned dimples. "It'd best be mine."

"I side with my boy," he swept her over his shoulder and her winter gown draped like a curtain.

"Noah!" she squealed. The boy chuckled. "Put me down this instant."

"No boy of mine is getting butchered."

"Damn, right!" Rhan laughed, leaping to his feet.

Noah carried her towards the door, swinging it open with a mighty pull. "And no wife of mine will tell me to remove my boots."

The wind burst into the cabin, fighting against the flames while the large man carried her out onto the porch. She bounced like a bag of potatoes on his shoulder.

"Noah," she screamed, "put me down!"

"If you say so," He turned to the boy and winked.

She shook her head, "you won't if you know what's good for ya—" she flew from his shoulder and was swallowed by powder.

Rhan ran to his father's side, his arms wrapping around his hips. They squealed with laughter.

Meredith's head resurfaced, "you think that was funny, do ya?"

Noah chuckled and nodded his head, "Just a wee bit—" his head whipped back as snow smacked his face. He chuckled, pulling snow chunks from his beard, and spat.

"She got you—" Smack! Rhan went quiet, face icy white. He giggled, wiping the snow with his sleeve. "—what was that for?"

Meredith laughed, "serves you both right.",

Rhan's face wrinkled with determination. "Let's get her!"

Meredith's eyes widened holding her hands full of snowballs. "wait just a minute, you two." Her voice was lost as she screamed. Snowballs flew through the sky in an all out war. After a minute they stood like three snowmen. Each one knee high in the powder, laughing and giggling.

Meredith caught her breath as she looked up at Lasso peak. The sky was black and angry, consuming the mountain's head.

"You best ride soon," she told her husband, "the storm will be here in a few hours."

Noah looked to the peak while the boy followed his gaze. Grayish-blackish clouds swirled like mud in the snow, expanding across the grayed horizon.

"Best we get inside and finish supper."

They spent ten minutes slurping down leftover rabbit stew while Noah's flesh warmed by the fire. Noah then kneeled and gave his boy a hug. "You take care of your mother while I'm gone, ya hear me?"

Rhan smiled and gave him a quick squeeze, "will do, Pa."

Noah patted him on the head making his hair worse. "That's a good, Lad." He stood to his feet and embraced his wife, drawing his lips close to hers. "One for the road?"

Meredith shook her head, "not with that breath," she pushed him back, "you hurry on back and I'll reconsider—"

Noah pulled her in close and brought their lips together, flesh warm as they touched. They closed their eyes and for a moment all he could smell was apples and cinnamon.