C h a p t e r S e v e n

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, he doesn’t like to fall asleep but when he’s out he is down for the count.”

Luke nods placing his hands in his hips as he looks around, “It’s a nice place.”

Robin snorts and sits up completely, “It’s a shit hole but it’s the best I can do for now.”

Silence descends over them and Robin starts picking at her a string on her second hand couch trying to collect her thoughts so she can start this conversation in a non-accusing way. She has some serious questions for him but she also doesn’t want to be some pushy baby mama when they were never even in a relationship. It was a one-night thing and its not like they have a claim on each other despite any feelings she may have for him.

The sinking of the couch cushion beside her though has her looking over to see Luke now on the couch looking at her in that intense way that makes her squirm. His bright green eyes are a bit shadowed by the limited lighting but are no less brilliant as they snatch hers up in an unbreakable gaze. Realizing she’s not really breathing at the moment she lets in an uneven breath of air making him seemingly snap out of it.

“I didn’t want to leave.” He says lowly.

Robin’s eyes widen knowing that he’s the one biting the bullet on this one and beginning the conversation they need to have. Trying not to jump in with any question and instead let him say what he needs to she bites her tongue while waiting for him to continue. His tanned hand moves across the couch grabbing hers in it making her veins hum with the feeling of his skin against hers.

“I knew I wanted you the minute I saw you.” He says after a moment, “I’ve never wanted anyone so much in my life but I knew I couldn’t have you. I have some dark shit in my past, Robin. Shit I didn’t and still don’t want to drag you into but I also don’t want to lose you, especially now that we’ve gotten to know each other a bit more.”

Robin clears her throat when he clearly expects her to respond.

“Well.” She begins, “Technically the only thing I know about you is your name.”

“And that I’m a werewolf.” He adds hastily.

“Yeah but I had to figure it out on my own.”

He nods his head slowly, “I guess that’s true. Okay, ask me anything.”

Robin raises both her eyebrows in surprise, “Anything?”

“Anything.”

She tries not to get too excited with this all access pass he’s just given her. Gnawing on her lower lip again, a nervous habit of hers, she picks one question out of the thousands she’s been saving for the occasion. Taking a deep breath she faces him and asks him the first question.

“Where were you?”

Luke nods, seemingly expecting that question. “I traveled around the country. Settling in one place for me is a risky move usually but I lead a trail up to Canada so I think I may have bought myself a month or two.”

“A month or two?” She asks in a thin voice.

He quickly moves closer to her sensing her disappointment and caresses her cheek, “I’m not going anywhere, Robin. I said I’d stay here with you and I will.”

“But you said a few months.”

“Until they come for me. I’m done with running. I need to face this head on.”

“And what exactly is it you’re running from, Luke? You keep bringing this up like its life or death but your not telling me anything. Do I need to be worrying about Charlie and mine’s safety?”