Chapter 11: School?

Hanji's POV

Months later, Levi let me move in. Well... I was already moved in... this just made it official. But then... when I moved into the apartment with my last box, there was this sharp pain in my stomach. My stomach was growling and clawing for food. I carried the final box into the kitchen, overhearing Levi and Eren's conversation.

"I don't wanna go to school!"

"You have to, Eren. I can't always have you at my work. It'll be fun. You can have friends. Better than hanging out in my boring office all day." Levi says gently. My head peaked around the corner, and I saw Eren with tears dripping down his face. His fists were clenched together and he was just filled with anger. "Eren, please..."

"No!"

Without looking, Eren ran off to his room- slamming it shut behind him. "Sorry you had to hear that, Hanji..." Levi growled softly, walking to the stove. "I'll get dinner ready."

"It's that time of year?" I chuckled softly, feeling the pain in my stomach again. So, I decided to walk to the cabinets to examine it for food. Delighted, I found a bag of unopened chips- and I ate it. "I can help talk to him, Levi... about school."

"Leave him be. He gets... tense. He's probably just hungry, and we'll leave it at that." He says gently, sighing and turning towards me. "I thought he would be... happier. He's always bored in my office. No friends- no nothing. He hates his babysitter. Should I tell him that? If he doesn't go to school, he'll get stuck with his babysitter?"

Instinctively, I shook my head. "No, don't."

"Why?" His head tilted a bit, looking at me for a good answer. "He doesn't listen to reasoning-".

"Some people... they need someone else to say it. Not just their parent." I chuckled, looking over to Eren's bedroom door. "After dinner, I'll talk over it with him. See what's wrong. Did you ever ask him why he doesn't want to go?"

"No. Got too caught up in the moment. Sorry." 

"Don't be." I chuckled softly, kissing his cheek. "Don't be sorry, Levi. As I said, I'll talk it over with him. He listens to me much more than him listening to you. Almost like... I'm his true mom..." Levi smiles gently, kissing my lips. "That's a good thing... right?"

"Yes. Now shower. You're not eating dinner," then he quickly snatches my bag of chips, "or snacks until you shower. Now, shower."

My eyes rolled as my stomach growled more for food. "Yes, Mother." Sarcastic feelings arose in me as I quietly walked to the bedroom. Trying my luck at Eren's door, it was locked. Levi would've gotten angrier if I told him about the door. I then just went off to the shower- attempting to put everything off my mind.

*   *   *

Spaghetti for dinner was interesting. Usually, Eren went off about how Levi really liked me- his words specifically. Overall, there was nothing special that went on in dinner. Eren was just quiet. Eating his noodles and not uttering a word. Levi attempted to bring up a conversation with him- but he remained quiet. 

After his bath, I went into his room while Levi showered. Eren was curled up on the bed, holding his little bear tightly. "Eren... it's me, Hanji..." He glances at me, turning away with his bear. Sighing softly, I walked over to him and sat on the bed. "Eren... your dad's trying his best with you for school."

"I don't wanna go..."

"Why not?" My fingers ran through his messy hair as I tried to comfort him. "Tell me, Eren. I'm a bit... curious..."

He sniffs a bit, snuggling his head on my stomach. "D-Dad's gonna leave me there forever. I-I'm not a good boy... I'm always arguing... he doesn't want me... school is a bad place where they leave bad kids... I don't want to get left behind..." Eren whines softly, clutching tightly on my shirt. "Don't let him leave me..."

"Eren..." I say gently, kissing his forehead. "School's not that kind of place. Think of it like... Dad going to work. You stayed home with the babysitter, and he always comes back. Well... work is a little longer than school- but he would never leave you behind. You're his son, Eren. He loves you very much."

"Y-You think so?"

"I know so." I chuckled, holding Eren tightly. "You'll be okay. No one is leaving you behind. Besides, going to school is much better than staying home with a babysitter, am I right?"

"Eww.... no!" Eren giggles softly, but it only lasted for a few seconds. "I think... I think it's a girl."

"The... the babysitter?" 

The way Eren giggled made me worried. "No..." His chubby finger than pointed at my stomach with a grin on his face. "I think that is a girl."

My heart was thumping loudly in my head- a girl? A baby? No way. Although... children has been known to know things before an adult. Perhaps, he was actually telling the truth about a baby in me? Was I really pregnant...?

"Eren, bedtime." We both looked up to see Levi standing in the door frame with a small smile on his face. He must've overheard the both of us. "Hanji, let's go."

Sighing softly, I looked down to Eren and did something very motherly. I kissed his forehead and ensured he had has bear. I made sure that he was tucked in properly and checked for the nightlights in his room. Once everything was good, I turned off the lights- and the room was lit up with his nightlights. "Goodnight, Eren..."

I was just about to close the door when I heard him say one last thing: "Goodnight, Mommy..."

*   *   *

"He called me 'mommy,' Levi..." I said to him, feeling Levi's abs under the blanket. His hands were firmly on my hips as he held me close. "I'm growing on him..."

"That's good then, Hanji." He says softly, kissing my cheek. "But now, rest. Get some sleep. I realized you have been sleeping abnormally lately... sleep. I rather not get woken up by you in the middle of the night."

"Oh, and Eren's ready to go to school. I made sure of it. He was just scared."

"Rest."

"Fine..."

The night went smoothly until it was about 3 am in the morning. Levi and I felt this heavy weight between us. First, Levi turned on his light and we caught the little stowaway. Eren was curled up between us, trying to sleep without his bear.

"What are you doing, Eren?"

"I wanna sleep with you and Mommy..." Levi's eyes and mine went to each other as Eren said that last part. "I don't want to be left behind..."

Levi chuckles softly, kissing Eren's forehead. "I'm not leaving you behind. Where's your bear?"

"He's guarding my bed and protecting it from monsters and the dark." Eren continues on with his wild imagination. "T-Teddy can protect it by himself. But you, Dad, you conquer everything! Nothing bad ever gets past you! Not ever! And Mommy can protect me with her love... so can I stay?"

Once more, Levi chuckles. "Of course."