32. A New Adventure

Start from the beginning

"The captain of the packet ship will be here in a week," Tace informed her, smoking her wooden pipe and forming a grey cloud around her face.

"Have you got anything to the name N.B?" Narissa asked. She had told Will and Elizabeth to send their letters there and, after sending them six letters since she had left Port Royal, she was expecting to receive some words from them.

The postwoman extended the palm of her hand. Understanding, Narissa rolled her eyes and gave her another coin. After placing that coin in the same box under the chair, Tace rummaged through all the letters she had received, which were ordered in alphabetical order. While her back was turned to her, Narissa spotted a quick tiny furry figure under the chair, next to the money box. She smirked proudly and held back a giggle.

After a few minutes searching for the name, Tace told her "Sorry, miss. Nothing for N.B."

Narissa looked disappointed. Frowning, she asked "Are you sure? Could you check again?"

Facing Narissa, the woman took another drag from the pipe, blowing the smoke on the face of the younger woman, who clenched her jaw to keep herself under control. "I'm telling you there's nothing in the 'N' section."

Desperately, Narissa insisted. "Maybe it was misplaced. Could you check the other sections?" She really needed to know something from her brother and her best friend, even if it was only 'Hello, we're fine'. Anything.

Sighing, the postwoman replied "That would take a long time... I'd need an extra."

"Fine!" she concluded with a complaining tone, placing three chillins on the table that separated both women. In any other circumstance, she wouldn't have insisted that much, but this was an exception. "I'll be back tomorrow morning. And you'll get two more shillings if you find my letter."

"Right away, miss! It's a bliss to have clients like you!" were the woman's last words before she got to work.

Soon after exiting the building, she felt tiny hands and feet quickly running up her back. Jack regained his place on her shoulder with a small leather bag in his mouth. The animal dropped the bag into the open palm of her hand. Looking into the bag, she found all the money she had payed to Tace, plus some extra. "Good job, Jacky," she said, petting the little thief's chin and giving him the bag to keep it save.

Walking by one of the many inns of Tortuga on her way to meet Jack and Gibbs, Narissa heard a man yell at her "Hey, lass. At what time do those legs open?"

Being used to those nasty comments, specially in that town, Narissa ignored him. Taking an annoyed deep breath, she simply kept walking. She heard footsteps behind her and the monkey looked around nervously from her shoulder. She had expected the man to follow her, so her hand stayed close to her pistol. She felt a sudden hand on her shoulder and it only took her two seconds to reach for her pistol, turn around and point it to his head, right between his eyes.

"Touch me again if you dare," she said determined. The man raised his hands in surrender, seeing the wrath in her cold blue eyes. "Now pray that I won't see you again, because if I do -" She cocked the pistol. "- I won't hesitate to pull the trigger."

The man ran away in fear without saying a word. Placing the pistol back on her belt, she rolled her eyes and scoffed "Men." And as if nothing had happened, she kept walking to The Rusty Anchor. She wasn't surprised to find the tavern full of people; it was one of the main reasons why Jack liked going there, he could talk about his business and nobody could hear him between the noise, the fighting and the yelling. As usual, the place was a mess that night: An empty glass bottle flew above her head, she dodged a man that was unconscious on the floor - she wasn't sure if he was drunk or knocked out - and she almost got lost in the middle of a fistfight between two hysterical women.