“It’s not important.”

            “Chance, come on. Tell me what I did wrong.”

            “You did nothing wrong,” he told me. “Seriously.”

            “Chance, if you don’t tell me what’s going on right now I will dump you at this airport. Don’t think I won’t do it.”

            He sighed. “Fine. It’s just… Jamie…”

            “What about Jamie?” What the hell did Jamie have to do with our conversation?

            “You just mentioned him and it hit a sore spot, all right?” he said tiredly, without conviction. “We’re not exactly on the best of terms right now.”

            I’d noticed an odd change in Jamie in the two days following the conversation with my mom while we packed to return to Oakbridge, my hometown. But we’d never spoken directly about it, and I was realizing now maybe his mood went deeper than I’d expected.

            “Why not?” I asked.

            The automatic doors opened, and a gust of cold air met us, causing me to involuntarily shiver. By pure force of habit, Chance’s arm instinctively tightened around me to keep me warmer, and I couldn’t help but smile a little bit despite the circumstances.

            We stepped to the curve, where rain and ice gathered in unsightly gray splashes along the road. He looked out for a cab, and spoke while we searched the wet road. “Because of you.”

            “Me?” I spluttered. “What do you mean, me?”

            Chance shrugged. “He’s angry and jealous that you chose me.”

            I stepped away, staring at him curiously. “Chose you? I didn’t realize there was a choice here.”

            “Oh, come on, Candice,” Chance said, turning to me. “You can’t not know how Jamie feels about you. I mean, he’s in love with you! Did you seriously not know that?”

            I shook my head vigorously. “No, that’s not possible. Jamie’s a friend. I mean, he’s like an older brother to me.”

            “And do you normally make a habit of kissing older brothers?” Chance asked, raising an eyebrow. Despite everything that had happened since, I realized Chance was still stung over that.

I winced. “Okay, not fair. We were both drunk, and I was confused and upset and lonely.”

You were drunk and upset and confused and lonely. Jamie, however, was sober and perfectly fine. And who kissed whom again?”