Day Two: Jack Frost

Prompt:  First snowfall

Y/n loved winter. It was her favourite season. She loved going to the ice rink and skating with her family, or building snow forts and having a snowball fight, but her favourite part was when it started to snow, especially the first time.

The air always felt magical on days it snowed. Seeing the soft fluffy flakes start to fill the air as the drifted down always put Y/n in the holiday mood. If she was alone, she would sing as she spun around, feeling the soft flakes dance on her bare cheeks. Heavy snow was fun to sit and watch. Sometimes she would dance in the heavy snow, but usually she preferred curling up with a blanket and some hot chocolate to watch the world transform into a Winter Wonderland.

Since Easter, Jamie had got a big sister. She wasn't his real big sister, rather part of some program at school that had joined elementary students with high school kids. Y/n and Jamie had taken to calling each other siblings after the spent almost an entire summer together going on adventures as Jamie called them. They were just random trips to different places. She took him camping one weekend. They went to the pool, another day. His favourite was the amusement park; he dragged Y/n on all the rides.

Jamie loved telling stories. He told Y/n about his greatest adventure with Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Clause, and how they defeated Pitch Black with the power of laughter. Y/n had thought it was made up at first, but as he kept retelling it, she began to wonder if it was real. She had stopped believing in those characters long ago, but not because she wanted to, because she was told to. She wanted to believe they were real; the world could use more magic. So, she believed him.

When Jack had shown up in Jamie's backyard, he was half expecting to have been forgotten again. He wouldn't have minded; he had grown used to the feeling of being invisible. The joy he brought to people's face was enough reward, and he could always go find Tooth or Sandy—they sometimes ended up in the same place at the same time—if he was feeling lonely. But seeing Jamie run out of the house and straight at him for a hug, was certainly uplifting.

"Jack!" Jamie shouted, running across the yard. "You came back!"

"Of course, I did, Jamie. Did you think I wouldn't?"

Jamie smiled. "No, I knew you would, but not yet. There's no snow."

"I bring the snow." As soon as the words left Jack's mouth, Jamie glanced up to see snowflakes falling. He cheered, jumping up and down as he stuck out his tongue to catch some flakes.

The sound of a car door shutting, caught Jamie's attention. He turned his head towards the front yard. "That's probably Y/n." Jamie had asked her to bring some of her favourite books for him today. "She loves snow, she'll definitely want to meet you." Jamie took off towards the gate that led to the front, no bothering to wait for Jack.

When Y/n had pulled up at Jamie's house, it started snowing. After getting out of the car she had paused on the walkway, glancing around to make sure no one was looking. She quickly looked back to the sky, spinning around and giggling to herself as her hair and coat turned white.

She gasped when she noticed Jamie. "Oh! Jamie! I didn't see you. I brought some books," she said, trying to avoid talking about her embarrassment.

"Awesome," Jamie cheered. "But first, I want you to meet my friend."

He grabbed her hand and began leading her to an older boy that looked to be around her age. He wore a blue hoodie and had a staff. His hair was white, and his skin was very pale. He was kind of cute. She avoided eye contact and her cheeks flushed when she realized he probably saw her dancing in the snow like a fool.

"Y/n this is Jack." Jamie let go of her hand looking up at the boy.

Jack knelt so he was eye level with Jamie. "She can't see me, bud."

"What do you mean?" Y/n asked. "I'm not blind. I can see you just fine."

Jack stood up. "Y-you can see me?" His eyes were wide as the snow started falling heavier.

"Yeah. Can some people not?" Y/n was very confused at the situation. It was very strange. "Jamie, are you trying to play a trick on me?"

"This is Jack. The Jack Frost."

"Really?" Y/n hesitated. She believed Jamie had been telling the truth about meeting someone named Jack Frost, but she never would have imagined that she would get to meet him. If he was real, which she really hoped he was, shouldn't he be busy getting ready for winter.

"Really." Jack confirmed. He held out his hand, creating a snowball in his palm.

Y/n gasped, taking the snowball and examining it. "I'm Y/n," she said, smiling at him. "It's amazing to actually get to meet you."

Jack laughed. "Do you-do you like the snow, then?"

"Winter is my favourite."

"Yeah," Jamie chimed in. "Apparently she always wins in snowball fights."

Y/n smirked, winking at Jack, before crushing the snowball above Jamie's head. She ran backwards, scooping together more snow to make more ammo for the snowball fight that was bound to break out after what she had just done.

"No fair, Y/n!" Jamie shouted. "That went down my shirt."

"All's fair in the Snow Wars."

"Snow Wars?" Jack asked, laughing at the two people in front of him. Jamie was frantically trying to make a snowball to hit Y/n with. With a flick of his staff, Jack created a pile of snowballs for Jamie.

"Cheater!" Y/n shouted as she threw a snowball at Jack. It hit him right in the face.

He stumbled back. "Oh, it's on!" He made more snowballs for himself, launching them at both Y/n and Jamie.