How did I know wasn't clear? Well, the gunshot right above my shoulder is a great indicator. I take off running. I try to keep calm while hearing the screams of innocents dying around me, it was difficult. I dart three houses back. I know I haven't lost them but I don't know what to do.

"Maylyn, Maylyn. Silly, silly, Maylyn." I'm done for sure. I slowly turn around and come face to face with Max.

"This isn't very Dauntless like, now is it Max? Blowing bits and chunks out of people. Dauntless members are suppose to be brave, the protectors, and most of all, not cowards. Max, you're the biggest hypocrite of them all."

"Is that something smart to say to a guy with a big gun?"

"Is it smart to threaten a girl who also has a big gun?" I challenge waving my gun.

"Are you choosing death?"

"I'm choosing to save the lives of the remaining Abnegation."

"Bravery for you, comes with a price, and that price is your life. Bye, May. Not so nice knowing you and I'm sure you'll be miss, blah blah blah." Max clicks the chamber into place. I look Max in the eye. I know if I show weakness, he will pounce and kill me. Max hesitates, I have him right where I need him, I quickly jump for the gun and capture it. I point it at his head while still looking him in the eye.

"Why didn't you kill me?" I question.

"..., I don't want to." What? Why?

"Come again?"

"I don't want to kill you, Maylyn. Not because I like you. No, no, nothing like that, that's Eric's position. I'm letting you go because you'll make a great leader."

"Only the first two in the initiate's group can become leaders. If you don't remember I came dead last actually I was technically kicked out."

"That rule can change. After all I did change the part where you were suppose to be kicked out. Your divergency is strong, you have Abnegation, Amity, and Erudite in you-"

"How do you know about that?" I mess up by lowering my gun, Max quickly takes control of it.

"I was just guessing. I'm assuming I hit it spot on though."

Shit. "Then kill me, the task of this invasion is to eliminate Abnegation members. After that it is to seek out the Dauntless, Divergent members and annihilate them, go ahead obliterate me already."

"I mean it, become a leader, and you'll be safe."

"No." I push his gun out of my face and walk away from him. I don't turn around, hopefully my horrible plan works and I don't get shot.

-/-

I make a stupid decision by walking right out in the middle of a mass killing. I first feel a bullet skim my cheek. I raise my hand to my cheek and lightly touch it. My cheek burns and is definitely bleeding. I look for the culprit but they have run off. My eye do spot someone else though, they are a house down but in gunshot range.

Eric.

He is looking in my direction. Then, he points his gun in my direction. Eric waves goodbye and pulls the trigger with an evil smirk on his face. I feel the bullet enter my right leg above my knee cap and I crumple to the floor. I don't fall to the floor from the bullet. I fell because a Dauntless member ran past me and knocked into my shoulder with incredible force. I am pushed backwards and my head smacks on the concrete, knocking me completely out.

Brooklyn's POV-

We are running through the Abnegation compound before anyone can see us. The only reason Four, Tris, and I are going through Abnegation is because we need to find Zeke before barging into Erudite without his spy knowledge. We have to get across the clearing. For what we know the leaders seem to be by the west side. Where the leaders are, Zeke will be nearby.

"We are going to have to book or across." I mention. "Or I guess somehow blend in."

"Blending in won't get us shot so let's do that one." Four sharply says. I lead the way out onto the street, now it is looking like a battleground.

Four goes after me then Tris follows behind. We split off in a branch like form but still keep tabs on where the others are. My area to cover is by the entrance. I get halfway when I see something that terrifies me. That something happens to be my twin laying on the ground with her eyes shut. There is so much blood. I run to her body. Fuck if I get caught, they killed my sister.

"No, no, no May! Maylyn, come on. Get up, Maylyn!" My throat burns as I shout louder. "Come on May. Don't you dare give up on me." I see someone out of the corner of my eye but I keep pleading with Maylyn.

"Brooke, we've got to go, she's gone. We've got to go before they kill you too." Four at first lightly grabs my arm and softly tugs at it. When he notices I am not going to budge he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me backwards. I struggle against Four's grip. As I am being dragged away I can see that Maylyn is breathing. May isn't dead, she's just unconscious. With that, I run off with Four knowing or at least hoping, May will be just fine.
When I get back over with Tris, Zeke is standing next to her. "Game plan." Tris is talking to Zeke and then addresses us all. "-Four and Zeke go to the control room in Erudite and dismantle the simulation. Brooke and I help locate but also create a distraction."

"That should work. Let's go." Zeke quickly speaks.

"Guys, we still have to figure a way out of here."

"New game plan, Brooklyn go to your sister." Four butts in. I decide not to mention the fact that Maylyn is in fact alive because if any of us go and get her, she definitely will end up dead.

"No Four, she is dead."

"Wha-what?" Zeke chokes out. "She's-s de-dead?"

"I'm sorry." I speak softly. "But, we need to go.

"No, we need to help her." Zeke argues.

"You can't help the dead, Zeke. I'm sorry." I say.

"Whatever, her sister would go back. Chances are she's not dead, she is just unconscious." Zeke takes off and ventures into the middle of the clearing. Is he trying to get shot?

I start to go after him but I see Eric grab his arm and direct him over to Max. Well, time for a new plan.