Ch. 22 ✿ Escape

Börja om från början

With a heavy heart, Namjoon gave one last bow and walked away.

.       .        .

"What if I took you away from here?"

Y/N suddenly sat up straight and stared at him wide-eyed, not saying a word.  Seokjin propped himself up to meet her eyes.  She sat beside him and just looked up at him, trying to process what he just said.  Her heart fluttered as he gazed down at her, brushing her hair from her eyes. A tiny smile formed on her lips.  Seokjin smiled in return, knowing she wanted to hear more.

"What if we had our own little home?  We can go far away from here.  It could have a big yard with pretty trees- I know you'd have fun playing outside all day, wouldn't you?  I even can build you a little swing set.  Maybe we could grow a garden together!"  Seokjin grinned from ear to ear, even getting himself excited.  "I know I don't have a lot of money, but I can make you happy.  And I can keep you safe." 

"But..."

"Don't worry," Seokjin cooed, already knowing what she was thinking.  "We won't tell your father.  He won't have any way to track us down.  And even though you're a baby in here," he tapped her on the temple of her forehead, "there's no way he could take you back if you told him no.  Just in case he did find us.  But he won't."  He smiled, gently smoothing his fingers against her red cheeks. "It'll just be you and me.  I won't let anyone hurt you ever again."

Y/N stared at him, open-mouthed and speechless. Her eyes searched between his, looking for some sign of a dream.  He wanted to live with her.  He wanted to rescue her.  She tried so hard to wrap her head around his proposal.  A life with Jinnie...

Flashbacks of her father's violence and anger flooded through her little mind.  Every smack she was forced to take, every time she hid in her room, praying he wouldn't find her, the times she watched her mother sneak into someone else's car...  Her vision faded as her poor mind replayed every painful memory.  But the same flashbacks she had always had suddenly felt different.  They were altered.  Instead of being smacked, her father's hand was held back rather than meeting her face.  Instead of crying in her room, she had company.  Instead of cowering in fear, she was being held.  Suddenly those memories didn't hurt anymore.

She remembered one of her most prominent memories.  It was back when she was really four years old and her father was in a rage again.  Suddenly seeing through young Y/N's eyes when they were wide with fear, she hid, shaking as she curled inside the kitchen cupboard. 

"I don't CARE if you want to go out!  You're staying home with me tonight, and that's final!"

"Put down the bottle already, you're being stupid!  Can't you see what's happening to you?!"

Y/N sniffled quietly as her parents argued, trying not to cry.  She didn't want Father to find her.  He scared her.  She had only come out of her room to ask for a snack.  But now, all she wanted was for him to stop yelling.  It became too much and she couldn't hold it in anymore.  She began to cry, too scared of her father's loud voice and being trapped in the dark cupboard.  She knew that any moment now, he'd drag her out by the wrist and throw her back into her room.  That's what he does when he finds her hiding.

But that didn't happen this time.

When the door opened, it opened slowly.  And instead, the loving face of Seokjin peeked from outside.  He gently folded his fingers between hers and crouched down in front of her, brushing a tiny strand hair from her red face.

"Don't cry..."

Y/N blinked herself out of her dreaming to see Seokjin in the same position, crouched in front of her, tucking the same strand of hair behind her ear.  She cried found herself crying, as Jinnie brushed his thumbs across her wet cheeks.