Chapter Eighteen: This Picture

Start from the beginning

'Yeah. I get that. If you think you're ready, we can go see her. When would you like to go?'

'Think we could go Saturday?'

'Saturday? You mean . . . ?'

'Yeah. Good a time as any, right?'

'All right, if that's what you want to do, we'll go. I'll call Aunt Karen.'

'Thanks. Oh, by the way, Matt and Stuart want to come over for dinner on my birthday.'

'Excellent!' she said with forced cheer. 'The more, the merrier.'

* * *

Nick woke up on his eighteenth birthday feeling exactly like he had the night before. Literally nothing was different, and he wasn't sure if he felt relieved or disappointed. He had a dozen or so texts from friends, including ones from Mel, Stuart, Matt, and even Chas, though he hadn't spoken much to him in the past several months.

And there was one from Dave, which read, Happy Birthday, Nick. Buy you a coffee soon?

To which Nick replied, Thank you. Sure. Free Sunday?

Dave was, and they decided to meet at The Jekyll & Hyde around noon.

Nick's birthday dinner was attended by Zoë, Richard, Matt, Stuart, and, surprisingly, Maria, whom Zoë had invited on the sly, and who was very happy to attend the eighteenth birthday party of her favourite nephew.

'Josh's family leaves something to be desired,' she said. 'His mistress—sorry, wife—spoils their kids rotten. I mean, had he at least buggered off for someone nice, but she's all fake smiles and haughty platitudes. So, just so you know, you lot are my real family now.'

'Strong words,' said Zoë, passing potatoes down the table. She was smiling.

'Yeah, well. Josh and I were always too alike and too different in temperament all at once, so . . . Apparently, though, the biggest difference between us is that he's clearly a fucking idiot. Think I've got something on him in the brains department.'

Nick laughed. Hearing his aunt trash talk his father like that made him feel strangely happy.

'So!' said Maria, glancing around at Nick, Matt and Stuart. 'How's the band doing?'

'Not bad,' said Matt. 'We've got a gig in three weeks, in Sapswell. You should come, if you can make it up.'

'I'll see what I can manage,' she replied with a smile. 'I'd really, really like to hear you guys play, though I might not be able to pull it off this time. We'll see, I suppose.'

The dinner passed in pleasant conversation. Matt had, in fact, to everyone's great surprise, kept his promise and brought a cake. Two layers of chocolate sponge with chocolate mousse in between, and chocolate coffee buttercream frosting. It was even home-made, though Matt admitted that his mother had helped him make it.

'Since when do you even cook?' Stuart asked incredulously.

'I cook!' Matt sounded a bit defensive. 'Just ask Alan. I make a mean Alfredo.'

'This cake is amazing,' said Richard, having taken a bite.

Nick laughed. 'This is witchcraft. Must be.' Then he thought of something and turned to his aunt. 'Oh, by the way. I've got some news about your ex, Maria.'

She arched an eyebrow. 'Is that so?'

'Yup. His wife left him. Tossed him right out of his own house just before Christmas, the same day you left. Apparently, he started a big row with her when he got home, and she told him to bugger off. She and Dave have moved out now.'