Short Story - 1

It's time for racing. My wings, or rather (sails) unfold tiredly until I hear the crack from my bones. It's my first day. The other dragons have always told me about the races but I never saw the need for the excessive excitement. Kaira flew over to me and landed next to the lily pad in my enclosure.

"Are you ready little one?" the tall and elegant seaweed dragon asked me whilst pruning her delicate wings.

"Yes Kaira. As ready as I'm ever going to be", I replied nonchalantly.

"Good, the key is to give it your all when you reach the terrain with your element. Which is your strength?” she asked giving me a once over.

"Sometimes I feel the earth is stronger than the fire but as of late, the ground of harsh earth irritates my feet. I wish I could fly like you."

"Ha!" Kaira let out a hearty laugh distinct to her species. "That won't matter any my child. In those races we are trained to only use our wings as a means for balance and propulsion. Besides, for those younger dragons who cannot control their flight, weights are placed on their undersides."

"Well they don't have to worry about me", I quipped.

The day goes by quicker than I anticipate. I walk aimlessly around my earth enclosure; my abnormally long horns feeling especially heavy.

"Obsidia!" someone called out to me.

I hate my name. Why would my trainer name me the very name of my species? Everyone else had distinct names according to their nature, lineage, or seller. I had the plain old Obsidia because I was the Obsidian dragon. I sigh.

A young Paper dragon calls out to me.

"It's finally your turn Obsidia!" he says while flapping his wings frantically, his tiny red body writhing up and down like a malfunctioning accordion. "Yes indeed. Not a big deal."

"Are you kidding?" he says leaping in front of me. His wings fold downwards, simulating a Chinese folding fan. When they are laid to rest on his back, it is nearly impossible to tell if he has wings as they elegantly shape to his body's curves.

"You're going to be fine. Hey I was wondering", he continues as we head towards a pond. "Would you like to do a mock race with me?"

I smile disingenuously and concede. The entire night he went on about how the sudden transition from one course element to another can be jarring to most dragons especially if it’s an element to which they have a weakness. I didn't say much.

We leap over fallen logs and swim through the fiery lakes. I'm so tired I can see 3 of the paper dragon.

"Thanks for helping me out", I say walking back into my enclosure. "No problem. It is my pleasure to help the future winner of the race!" he chortles.

His fandom annoys me to no end. He sees me off and I slink away without a second glance back at him.

The next morning, all I hear are dragons all over the island singing gloriously to usher in the day of the races.

Kaira the seaweed dragon comes up to me and grooms my face.

"Are you ready little one?"

"I guess so. I trained with the paper dragon."

"Well you should have been resting last night", she scolds gently with a smile. She then nudges me along.