Chapter 22: A Vivid Truth

Start from the beginning

It'll just prolong your life, I reminded myself. It'll make you more comfortable for the moment, but not for the long run. 

"Grey? Are you alright?" Kyla asked. 

I opened my eyes and looked at her. "Y-yeah. I'm great." 

"Are you sure? You look a little sick." 

"I am sick," I replied. "So it's pretty usual for me to appear that way." 

Kyla raised her eyebrows. "What are you talking about?" 

"I have a terminal illness. The doctors back in District 11 managed to create this medicine that would eliminate my symptoms and make me okay. But... we're in the Games now. I don't have it anymore." 

Kyla's face dropped. Her bright composure, which she's been carrying since the moment we met her, even as her life was on the line, disappeared. She took a step closer to me. I cringed a little, then realized that she couldn't be much of a threat to me with no weapons or allies who could help her kill me.

"Does that mean you're going to die? You have no say in whether or not you win?" Kyla asked. Her voice had dropped to a whisper. Her eyebrows were pulled together. The look in her eye resembled a lonely puppy. Her lower lip pouted outward, surpassing her upper lip. 

"Yes, it does," I replied. 

"Do you have any idea of when?" 

"Well, now that the symptoms have started, about two days. Give or take." 

"That's awful." 

I shrugged. "I've accepted it." 

Kyla shook her head, putting the canteen to her lips and glancing over at Ni. When she finished her sip, she spoke. "You're stronger than I am. I'm in the damn Hunger Games and I haven't even accepted that. I still feel like the reaping was a dream." 

I knew what she meant. I had known that Ivan was going into the games. When Chris's family disappeared, everyone looked straight at Ivan. He was the only one who had the resources to help her, the only one with the bravery to blatantly stand against Luke, and the only one who cared for Chris so much that he didn't care about the consequences. And since Luke's no idiot, he knew Ivan was behind it. So when the new Hunger Games were announced, we all knew Luke was going to be the male tribute for District 11. But me? That was a surprise. I'm still not sure if that was a bizarre coincidence or if Luke really wanted me to go into the Games. Either way, the initial shock was a bit overwhelming. 

"I get that," I replied. "But this is something I've lived with my entire life. Death has always hung over my head. It doesn't scare me."

"Maybe some sponsors will send you medicine. They have to sympathize, right? You're here with your brother, and you're allied with Crystal Erwin, the daughter of the games. You must have a lot of eyes on you," Kyla suggested. 

I bit my lip and didn't reply. 

"Oh my god," Kyla muttered so fast that I barely heard her. "You're hiding something." 

"I'm not hiding anything," I snapped, a bit too quickly. Kyla's eyes darted downwards to the small pocket in my wet suit. She could see the vial through the stretchy material. Then her eyes came back up, making contact with mine. 

"Show me the vial," Kyla demanded. 

"What? Why?" 

"Because I have a feeling it isn't empty." 

I had no reply to that. 

"You're letting yourself die, aren't you?" Kyla asked, her voice dropping low again.