Chapter 2

Suzanne Collins owns these characters I do not
-Cato POV-
Mellianne struts on stage in her Capitol get up. With a smile she speaks into the microphone,"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds, be ever in your favor! Before we begin, we have a special message from the Capitol!"
"War, terrible war..."
The video ends and our attention goes back to Mellianne.
"Ladies first!"
She walks over to the reaping bowl, filled with girls names. Her name is in there only three times. She probably won't be picked but I have a horrible feeling that the slip of paper she will pick will have the name Clove Kentwell written on it. I lock eyes with Clove and give her a little smile. She struggles to return it.
After a minute of  suspense Mellianne returns to the microphone. She unfolds the paper slowly. She smiles and reads the name" Clove Kentwell,".
She waits a minute to hear the words,"I volunteer," but they never come. She looks around along with everyone else. When she realizes what's going on, her face pales. Quickly she puts on a vicious smile and goes to the stage. She stands there proudly, just putting on a show.
We lock eyes and her smile flickers for just a second. My heart drops. My mind is spinning and my vision is blurry. I try to regather myself. I can't let any tears leave my eyes.
Clove looks at me shaking her head. She's pleading with her eyes because she knows what I'm about to do.
Before Mellianne has the chance to pick a name, I volunteer for the seventy-fourth Hunger Games