iii. back to square one

Start from the beginning

"Who are you?"

"I'll introduce myself later. We need you to get out of here first!" Whipping your head behind you to find Senku and fortunately, the mentioned man had finally caught up.

"You're the gentleman who protected that woman. You're alive!" she said, making you confused about what she just announced.

What does she mean by Senku protecting that woman and him being alive? Is Senku with someone while you're still petrified? But who is she? Moreover, did something bad happen to Senku for her to say that? And if he's with someone aren't they supposed to be together? You feel your stomach churned in an unpleasant manner, feeling something percolating in your heart and you feel like your mood was dying down in the process.

"Stop talking. You can introduce yourself all you want later. Don't waste your energy." Senku kneeled and tried to peek under the fallen tree. "Can you hold out until evening?"

Senku looked at the woman, "If you're at your limit, I'll take a gamble and blow it up with the little gunpowder I have left." Your eyes shot open and looked at Senku in disbelief. Gunpowder? He already managed to make gunpowder in this stone world without the materials? But you were talking about Senku here, he has knowledge in everything about science so why are you shocked that he made gunpowder? Ahh, this man really never ceases to astound you to the core.

"But if you can hold on, it'll take forever, but I'll save you, ten billion percent." Senku claimed and waited for the woman to answer. But she only blinked at him and didn't speak. "You're the only one who can make the decision! Decide right now! Which is it?"

For a second of watching the two and waiting for the woman to speak, you heard the woman shuffled and nodded. "Yeah, my organs and bones are all fine. I can hold on."

Senku smirks and darts his gaze at you, "(Name), since you're here and I know you have a lot of questions in your head. But I need you to help me do this thing to save her, so are you in?"

Blinking for several times and you surely waited for thousands of years to reunite with Senku again, and now that he's here in front of you, you won't let this opportunity slip. You solely let out a scoff and grin. "I have been helping you ever since childhood, Senku. You already know my answer to that."

The leek-haired lad chuckled and brought out the things inside his bags. "Since you have more physical strength than me, can you cut the trunk into three pieces; the thickness will be 8 inches."

"Noted that," you affirmed before taking the axe that Senku handed you. "I will cut some bamboo if you need something just call me."

Senku immediately left to find some bamboo, helping him feel so nostalgic since after you entered middle school, you seldom hung out with them because of being busy in your archery club. A smile graces your lips upon recalling the memories, you tightened your grip on the handle and gathered your strength in your arms to cut the trunk just like what Senku had told you.

Half a minute passed, Senku subsequently returned with some bamboo. And then the two of you started to work before the sun would descend and you needed to save this woman immediately.

Once you both had finally created a pulley and put soap on the rope, Senku instantly climbed up the tree.

"What is this?" The woman abruptly asked while staring at Senku.

"This is science. It was invented by Old man Archimedes a few hundred years BC. It converts the measly strength of a high school kid into Herculean might. It's called a pulley!" Senku jumped down while holding the rope, the pulley started to move and lifted the fallen tree from caging the blonde-haired woman.