Prologue

"Helena." Douglass called out. Helena whipped her head around, her long straight raven hair following in suit.

"Douglass!" she exclaimed surprised. "What are you doing here?" Helena now fully faced him. Her emerald eyes gleamed with anticipation. Watching him. Waiting.

"I think you know why I'm here." He said, looking her straight in the eyes.

"If I did, I wouldn't be asking you, now would I?"

Helena crossed her arms and leaned on one leg as she kept her eyes fixed on Douglass. Douglass looked around the Autumn forest, his pale blue eyes searching for something out of sight. He scratched his freckles that ran from one cheek bone to another, his curly chestnut hair moving only slightly against the gentle breeze.

"I want to know why you stopped coming to the organization Helena... It isn't like you."

Helena frowned and she straightened up a bit. She knew exactly where he was going with this.

"I told you and a few people already, I don't agree with what the organization is doing."

"What exactly is it that we are doing that you don't like?" He asked raising a brow.

"Your killing innocent creatures."

"Innocent? Hah! There's nothing innocent about them!"

"But they are innocent! Watchers aren't what you guys think they are!"

"How would you know?"

Helena stood in silence. Douglass already knew. Of course he did, he was in the organization that tracked, hunted, and killed Watchers. The Amaurosis. Something her parents were even part of, but she was anything but proud of that. Douglass's eyes narrowed, waiting for her response.

"I've done my fair share of research." she said. "They watch over those who need it. They protect and guide those who deserve it most. I don't see that as a reason for them to be prosecuted."

"That's what they want you to think." Douglass scoffed. "They reside along side demons and other demonic creatures. If they were so pure as you claim them to be, then wouldn't they be avoiding those creatures?"

"They are forced to stay among those creatures because of Amaurosis! The organization is extinguishing them! There are hardly any watchers left!"

"And that's our goal, dear, sweet Helena. You are too kind but be careful of where your pity lies."

Helena's eyes grew darker, a frown finding its place knitting her brows. She stood up straighter and clenched her fists tightly.

"It's not pity but sympathy." Helena said firmly.

Douglass chuckled and shook his head.

"No, dear Helena, you shouldn't have sympathy for the likes of them. Those monsters don't deserve it. Kidnapping people and God knows what they do to them."

"They aren't monsters." Helena clarified. "They have the same appearance as we do, only, they are more vibrant in eye and hair color."

"You seem to know much more about the Watchers than I anticipated." Douglass placed a hand on his chin. "Tell me, what else do you know about them? Better yet, why don't you show me the one that "guards" you?"

Helena stood in place. Shock evident in her face. Douglass knew much more than she thought. She frowned deeper, challenging him with her eyes, daring him to try and fish out her watcher.

Douglass sighed and shook his head. He ran his hand over his hair and dropped it back to his side.

"Why did you have to side with them? Why couldn't you just hunt him down like the rest of us? I expected a lot from your first hunt, but was rather surprised to see you come back empty handed. You have been different since then. I should knave known and done something about it sooner..."

"Listen to yourself." Helena said with disgust in her voice. "Have you no compassion? No morality?"

"That thing will get rid of you Helena! Every Watcher that has had contact with a human has never been found again! I don't want you to disappear on me Helena! I-"

"Don't finish that sentence." Helena warned.

"You know I've had feeling for you for a long time, so why do you keep pushing me away? Is it because of him?"

"...Yes... and It always will be because of him."

Douglass had enough. He wanted nothing more than to hunt down the bastard that took Helena away from him. He found more pleasure in the fact that from orders of the organization, he had to kill him. And Douglass knew exactly what he had to do to bring him out.

Douglass reached down to his gun holster and quickly undid the latch with the flick of his thumb. He brought out the gun and pointed it at where Helena had been standing. Only, it wasn't Helena's gaze he met. Fierce sapphire blue eyes met his, a foot away from his face. Before Douglass could pull the trigger, the Watcher grabbed his wrist and twisted it painfully, forcing Douglass to drop the gun.

"Mable!" Helena shouted in surprise.

Douglass chuckled but kept his eyes fixed on Mable's. "Nice to meet you too." Douglass said in a sarcastic pained voice.

Mable narrowed his brows further and gave another harsh twist to Douglass's wrist, forcing Douglass to double over. Douglass winced but jerked his head to the side when Mable lowered his face to Douglass's ear.

"If I as much see you look in her direction, I swear I will tear your arm off." Mable growled. (still working on the rest.)